Before & After 2

Help Support CattleToday:

I did not post anything first time around because I did not like her looks in the first picture. She was fighting the halter and had her front end in a really bad position.
I'm OK picking a green calf in the pasture but one bad picture can make them look really bad so I usually keep my mouth shut on pictures. The second picture shows she has some potential, I really like the butt and over the top shot.

wow! i really like this heifer. saw her on your website as well as on here. she will def do some winning for someone and make them some money for many years. if the family i helped out didn't show just steers i woudl be all over this one. nice stock!

AAOK":247h20ys said:
Keep those comments coming. I am truly interested in your opinions, before and after.
Dan
Dan I am curious as to whether you think she has enough to her to run competitively in a big show?

Isn't it amazing what a little TLC and a shave job can do.
I would agree with aplusmnt about her being a little deeper in the flank, but that will come with time.
She looks like a REALLY nice sleeper. Just give her a few months and should looks like she will wow.

I didn't see the previous post, but I can see where you would have gotten a lot of negative "hits" on this pic.
Sure, after the fact, I can make comments. But, honestly, I think she showed great potential in the first pic. Of course, if I could walk around her & really see her, I'd have a better idea.
Actually, I am pretty good at picking out the "undeveloped" babies. Hubby just can't "see" it when they are newborns - up to maybe a few months.
Isn't it a great feeling when you can get one in that is so rough around the edges & turn them into such a diamond!
I LOVE getting woolie calves in the chute & rough clip them up. Soooo rewarding.
Heifer is beautiful! and so is dam. Do you sell most of your cattle off the farm, or go to show sales?

I too like getting a sometimes woolly South Devon and tidying them up. i usually only have to do around their heads as most of the shows i go to are in summer/autumn. Most of my South Devons are very short in the coat. The only major show that they need a good clip is Brisbane Royal which is in winter.
Would love to see someone post a picture of the proper coloured Maine Anjou all clipped up. Are there any still in the US or Canada?

ollie'":98npw14q said:
AAOK":98npw14q said:
Keep those comments coming. I am truly interested in your opinions, before and after.
Dan
Dan I am curious as to whether you think she has enough to her to run competitively in a big show?

Ollie,
The answer to your question is a resounding YES!!!!!
She has exactly what it takes to win the Big shows; Femininity ++, plenty of frame, extremely free moving, thick, but not too heavily muscled, good spring of rib, great legs/feet, and upheaded, but not crazy.

She is better at this point than her Dam. Some will say, "But want the Judges want has changed a lot in eight years". I agree. Fact is, we have experienced a complete turn around. We have seen breeding heifers get way too "moderate" in frame, and way to heave in their muscle pattern. Thank goodness those trends started an about face around four years ago. I like the heifers I see in the purple lately (Big Shows, that is).
Dan

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1n5ege6e said:
I didn't see the previous post, but I can see where you would have gotten a lot of negative "hits" on this pic.
Sure, after the fact, I can make comments. But, honestly, I think she showed great potential in the first pic. Of course, if I could walk around her & really see her, I'd have a better idea.
Actually, I am pretty good at picking out the "undeveloped" babies. Hubby just can't "see" it when they are newborns - up to maybe a few months.
Isn't it a great feeling when you can get one in that is so rough around the edges & turn them into such a diamond!
I LOVE getting woolie calves in the chute & rough clip them up. Soooo rewarding.
Heifer is beautiful! and so is dam. Do you sell most of your cattle off the farm, or go to show sales?

Jeanne,
I'm the same way. I can usually foretell the future of a calf the day it hits the ground. The toughest time for me to judge a calf is 7 - 12 months of age. I just can't get a handle on how they might develop unless I have seen them when they were younger.

I sell ALL my cattle off the farm......all 6 or 7 a year. I am down to 9 cows. I only get to see them once a day, in the evenings, so AI % is mighty pitiful. My Show Cattle operation is just a very rewarding hobby, at which I try not to loose too much money. I don't like sales because they favor the wealthy, plus I don't have the time it takes to be a consignor. That's also the reason I don't do Open Shows; just can't miss that much work. I have to support my show cattle addiction.
Dan

AAOK":1jf8qagk said:
ollie'":1jf8qagk said:
AAOK":1jf8qagk said:
Dan

Ollie,
The answer to your question is a resounding YES!!!!!
She has exactly what it takes to win the Big shows; Femininity ++, plenty of frame, extremely free moving, thick, but not too heavily muscled, good spring of rib, great legs/feet, and upheaded, but not crazy.

She is better at this point than her Dam. Some will say, "But want the Judges want has changed a lot in eight years". I agree. Fact is, we have experienced a complete turn around. We have seen breeding heifers get way too "moderate" in frame, and way to heave in their muscle pattern. Thank goodness those trends started an about face around four years ago. I like the heifers I see in the purple lately (Big Shows, that is).
Dan
Get her in someones hands where I can look her up next year. You've got a good eye for cattle but not everyone sees them the same. I think she's too whispy to wear purple at a national show. Hope you're right and good luck.

Ollie, remember, she's just a baby - only 6 months old!!! and is light weight compared to normal year.
I would put her in my herd in a heartbeat!!! Too bad she's wrong breed :p but she would fit right into my herd phenotype - well with that front end, she's a tad better :D that's pretty tough for us to get quite that tight.

You can't beat the front third of her. It's the back two thirds that I think is too frail. Time will tell. Wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong. He probably knows her growth curve better than me but (to me) she needs more width and mass.

Ollie,
It's the rear two thirds where I see her as being better than her Dam. Her extremity of width as viewed from the rear is far ahead at this point. I believe the ascension or demise of her Show Career will depend on the exhibitor. I could sure use everyone's help to get her placed with an accomplished feeder, fitter, groomer, and showman.

Her Dam at 15 months, slick from 100+ heat.
kalli2.jpg

Her Dam, 5 months bred. Final Show, #44.
kalli5.jpg

Latest posts