Beet pulp

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

What is the benefit of feeding beet pulp to my daughter's show heifer? The heifer will be a year old in April. We also feed a 20% show feed to the heifer, we plan on adding beet pulp to the show feed.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

Beet pulp is a highly digestible fiber source with some soluble sugars left in it meaning that if you compare it to something like corn it will have between 80 and 100 % of the feeding value of corn and is less likely to cause digestive upsets (i.e. acidosis). In a grain based diet you're looking at about 80% the value of corn but if you are feeding a forage based ration it is closer to 100% the value of corn. Likewise, it is extremly palatible and cattle will eat it readily. Depending on how expensive it is you could also use soy hulls instead of beet pulp-they have about the same feeding value.<br>
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

> What is the benefit of feeding
> beet pulp to my daughter's show
> heifer? The heifer will be a year
> old in April. We also feed a 20%
> show feed to the heifer, we plan
> on adding beet pulp to the show
> feed. It helps give them a fuller look and helps keep your heifer from getting too fat. If you soak it and mix with the dry feed she is eating it will also make it more palatable and less likely to go off feed when you go to your shows. She may back off feed intake for couple of feedings until she gets used to it.

[email protected]