Beefmasters I saw today

Help Support CattleToday:

Hold what you've got! Registered cattle that aren't just what you want are just glorified commercial cattle. Hold what you have, if they don't do what they're supposed to, cull and replace with something that will do what you want. If you want seedstock then you need to be a perfectionist about it and pay what the best of the breed is worth and not just buy whatever has a set of papers.
I learned that lesson the hard way. I work in genetics and so I KNOW BETTER and I still learned the hard way. Out of thirty head of registered cows that I bought the cows that weren't just exactly what I wanted have either wound up as commercial cows or beef. I paid a premium for six head and they have been the ones that made the deal worthwhile.

[ I too was thrown off by that black baldy beefmaster sire in your picture when I saw him.[/quote]
how do you get black baldy looking BM? Talk about trying to breed to CAB. That just seems odd.

I'd just get the heifers from his son's property. May not be 11-12 available from over there though. I love my steers and am pretty sure 2 of them were from one of those black bulls...I think they look great.

You're starting to get buyers remorse. Stick with your original plan because you had a reason for that plan. For what you're getting them for it would be hard to lose anything but a year or 2 of time on your plan. But then again, there's not many reg bm sellers around this area.

The way that I see your problem, you have two "Decision Roads" to follow:
While parked at the crossroads, you must decide exactly what you really WANT to do with your Cattle BU$INE$$; raise and market quality beef cattle - - -OR - - -
raise and market "paper" cattle that you don't particularly like or enjoy.

Road #1 - Keep the good black Angus heifers, and by sensible Multiple Trait Selection decisions improve your seedstock and profits in the future.

Road #2 - Sell the good Angus heifers and buy the BM's - sell the bulls that you don't like and, using meticulous and scrupulous Multiple Trait Selection decisions, either buy or AI bulls which compliment five or six traits and characteristics of the COWS which you have purchased. Then - forget the "papers" and diligently concentrate on breeding profitable cattle.

If you still can't make up your mind, flip a coin, and instantly determine if you are happy with how the coin flip came out. If you can be honest and truthful with yourself, and you are NOT happy with the coin flip - - -choose the other decision! But - make up your mind, and stick with the decision!

DOC HARRIS

Thank you for the input! Well, if I had to pick between angus and beefmaster breed cows in general, I'd pick BM b/c they're better suited to my climate and offer more mating flexibility. So, I could use these heifers as a starting point and breed to better BM bulls with the essential traits and phenotype that I prefer to build the herd... Doc, ultimately I want both: to raise & sell quality beef cattle that also happen to be registered. I think I know the road I'm gonna go down. Thanks again!

I've got a line on 3 or 4 registerable Brangus heifers that will avail arou the time you are looking for. Just to throw another monkey wrench in

that bull is awful....if i can find some good pics of my animals ill send em to hook, beefmaster bull on brafords and beefmasters cows and hiefers..i can gt you into some real nice bm here and the people i deal with are more than fair...i got blk and red bm..

brihop":itllxseg said:
Thank you for the input! Well, if I had to pick between angus and beefmaster breed cows in general, I'd pick BM b/c they're better suited to my climate and offer more mating flexibility. So, I could use these heifers as a starting point and breed to better BM bulls with the essential traits and phenotype that I prefer to build the herd... Doc, ultimately I want both: to raise & sell quality beef cattle that also happen to be registered. I think I know the road I'm gonna go down. Thanks again!
1st q is how much are you going to give for those reg beefmaster heifers.an are they open bred or what.can you post what their sires an dams are.im pretty good at knowing the bloodlines.

@ DB: yep, baldie bull is pretty darn bad. when I told him I wanted the couple of heifers out of his other bull he said he thought the ones out of baldie were better (he doesn't understand how bad a couple of his bulls are). yes sir, let me know whats available, thanks! @ BB: 6 month old weanlings for $550, plus one that will be yearling come planned pick up time in Aug for 650, all registerable, I'd have to pay addtl $50 for the papers. I don't know sire/dam info.

the prices are what i been paying. sent cory some pics of mine. i posted the bull on here somewhere but i dont have a recent pic..ill git yall one..he dont look like that craigslist superstar

dieselbeef":2zb67008 said:
the prices are what i been paying. sent cory some pics of mine. i posted the bull on here somewhere but i dont have a recent pic..ill git yall one..he dont look like that craigslist superstar

[quote+"brihop"] 6 month old weanlings for $550, plus one that will be yearling come planned pick up time in Aug for 650, all registerable,[/quote]

Sounds like a good price to me.

brihop":zd1ej3k9 said:
@ DB: yep, baldie bull is pretty darn bad. when I told him I wanted the couple of heifers out of his other bull he said he thought the ones out of baldie were better (he doesn't understand how bad a couple of his bulls are). yes sir, let me know whats available, thanks! @ BB: 6 month old weanlings for $550, plus one that will be yearling come planned pick up time in Aug for 650, all registerable, I'd have to pay addtl $50 for the papers. I don't know sire/dam info.
well if i was you id jump on those heifers in a heartbeat.as they are cheap enough to learn with.those prices are well below barn prices.around here weaned reg beefmaster heifers will cost you $1400ea.took my nephew 2 months ago to get some reg beefmaster heifers an my buddy sold them 3 for $1400ea.

FL needs to start shipping to Texas, our prices here are good bit below yours on a lot of different type cattle.

Latest posts