Beefmaster question on color and dispostion

Help Support CattleToday:

I won't keep one based on color but I might cull one because of it. I don't like the white stripe on the face.

The lasiters are great people and would answer any questions if you call them. Their auction is the Saturday after Labor Day each September. WAllen Prarie Ranch is the big dog up here, his Total Package bull is a trait leader in multiple catagories.

thommoos":uwhz4vu7 said:
wacocowboy":uwhz4vu7 said:
I have not looked at the cattle for the Texoma sale but I know they have made a strong push toward solid red. I have heard nothing from the BBU about changing any of the 6. I do know they encourage solid colors because they sell better at commercial sales. I buy cows that are going to produce, color is a ways down in my choice making process. If you want quality cattle contact some one like Buster in Oklahoma. Study the offspring from a lot of these big name bulls you will find a lot of garbage. I have several big name popular bulls I won't touch their offspring. If you see L-Bar 5502 on the paper good chance it is a good animal he passes down good genes.
ditto: x 2
x3

It seems there is a preference more on solid red by certain breeders, and black seems to have grown in popularity. Paints tend to get a bad wrap. It really doesn't bother me. I think Isa has written a blog about culling for color. IMO, how could you ever cull on color in a crossbreed like BM.

tdc_cattle":6y3j510j said:
I won't keep one based on color but I might cull one because of it. I don't like the white stripe on the face.

The lasiters are great people and would answer any questions if you call them. Their auction is the Saturday after Labor Day each September. WAllen Prarie Ranch is the big dog up here, his Total Package bull is a trait leader in multiple catagories.

If I am not mistaken, Total Package is a descendant of LBAR 5502.

SteppedInIt":373n61ne said:
tdc_cattle":373n61ne said:

Son of 5502. One of my bulls is out of total package and a lasiter cow. The bull has white on its face but throws almost all red calves. My lasiter bull is colored like a Hereford and will throw all kinds of colors. Pretty sure that's why I got him at a bargain price, all the seed stock dealers stayed away from him because he has white socks and they all said ones with socks don't throw consistant colored calves.

Kingfisher":17c02u62 said:
Can you explain what the advantage to their hide is AC? Thanks in advance.
. The loose hide, and ability to sweat from the Brahman helps their cooling,,, so as far as the light colors reds, tans dun ...not really a dimes difference in body temps ...

Buster 260 who is the sire of my bull is from the 5502 line and I like what he throws. Double L is a 5502 son and has produced some of the top selling bull at Texoma and Beef on Forage. I seen some 260 daughters gosh they are pretty. When buying cattle you got to look and judge the animal then look at the family tree and see what they have done. I have seen sorry animals in every color. I got a paint first calf cow who is raising a real nice bull can't wait to see what she produces when she is fully mature.

tdc_cattle":31flc1h9 said:
SteppedInIt":31flc1h9 said:
tdc_cattle":31flc1h9 said:

Son of 5502. One of my bulls is out of total package and a lasiter cow. The bull has white on its face but throws almost all red calves. My lasiter bull is colored like a Hereford and will throw all kinds of colors. Pretty sure that's why I got him at a bargain price, all the seed stock dealers stayed away from him because he has white socks and they all said ones with socks don't throw consistant colored calves.

TDC, would you mind posting some photos of your Bulls? I have heard many good things about that Total Package bull and would love to see his progeny if you do not mind. I have also read a lot of good things about the lasater program; although, it seems their cattle look a little hard I am okay with that because I am not interested in one that will fall apart when I get him home. Plus it seems as if they are doing things the right away, but again all I am going off of is what I have read to this point. Anyway, thanks for your response and insight and I look forward to reading your reply.

wacocowboy":24dkuzjp said:
Buster 260 who is the sire of my bull is from the 5502 line and I like what he throws. Double L is a 5502 son and has produced some of the top selling bull at Texoma and Beef on Forage. I seen some 260 daughters gosh they are pretty. When buying cattle you got to look and judge the animal then look at the family tree and see what they have done. I have seen sorry animals in every color. I got a paint first calf cow who is raising a real nice bull can't wait to see what she produces when she is fully mature.

Wacocowboy, are you a commercial cattleman that uses Beefmaster breeder? Reason I ask, is that I was just curious as to what type of cows you are using Beefmaster bull on and what type of success have you had with it and what are the best crosses? Also, would you happen to have a picture of your Buster Bull? I would really like to get a visual of these cattle, so when I start looking I have some sort of measuring stick or standard to go by. Everyone on this thread seems extremely knowledgable and I want to make sure I use this opportunity to get all the information I need because the to visit with intelligent cattle breeders in one place is rare. As for L Bar 5502 I think I found a picture of him and here is link, you guys tell me if I have the correct bull. If this is indeed 5502, boy is he impressive. http://www.isabeefmasters.com

Also, if I were to contact this Buster gentleman, what can I expect to pay for a bull, or can you even buy one private treaty?

wacocowboy":3czjt2xa said:

Boy, I found a picture of that Double L bull and I can't say I have seen a bull with a straighter top with that amount length. He is impressive himself. How does one track down these genetics? Boy, I am sure they cost an arm and a leg, but I know you guys will guide me on the best path to go when purchasing a Beefmaster bull.

Mottlefaceman413":1rdylrcf said:
wacocowboy":1rdylrcf said:

Wacocowboy, are you a commercial cattleman that uses Beefmaster breeder? Reason I ask, is that I was just curious as to what type of cows you are using Beefmaster bull on and what type of success have you had with it and what are the best crosses? Also, would you happen to have a picture of your Buster Bull? I would really like to get a visual of these cattle, so when I start looking I have some sort of measuring stick or standard to go by. Everyone on this thread seems extremely knowledgable and I want to make sure I use this opportunity to get all the information I need because the to visit with intelligent cattle breeders in one place is rare. As for L Bar 5502 I think I found a picture of him and here is link, you guys tell me if I have the correct bull. If this is indeed 5502, boy is he impressive. http://www.isabeefmasters.com

Also, if I were to contact this Buster gentleman, what can I expect to pay for a bull, or can you even buy one private treaty?

Yes that is LBAR 5502. Isa has a bull sale every October. I think he averaged somewhere around 5K with the top selling around 10k. The Texoma sale Waco is referring to is http://texomabeefmasters.com/

tdc_cattle":1l0ouryr said:
I have all different color of moms. Brindle, dun, red, mottle face. The bbu hasn't changed anything with regard to the six essentials but breeders are breeding for solid colors on their own.

This calf:

is colored my how I prefer, red, white face, pigment around both eyes. Hoping she's a keeper first pic is at birth 1/26 second is today.

I appreciate you commenting on this thread and offering up your assistance. To your point, Wallen Praire Ranch appears to be doing great things and total package appears to be ALL BULL!!! Whew, he is long, deep and massive. I would not mind taking a look at some of sons and based on his EPD's, that bull may be ideal for a commercial cowman since he is curve bender, with absolutely explosive growth. If that total package Bulls calves are as good as he is, I don't see how he won't someday, be looked as one of the breeds greats, if he is not already.

Photobucket won't let me load till I'm on wifi so I'll have to load the pic later. The lasiter cows have to walk two miles to get enough to eat then walk another mile to get a drink. I can't say enough good things about them. It's an impressive opperation ran by great people.

Paul(WPR) has the goal of having the top herd in the country. He has some nice cows and has gotten into ET and is doing really well with it. We feeds his cattle more then I want, but all the seed stock breeders do.

reg beefmaster breeders are pretty much split into groups that adhere to the founders standards.you have 1 group that beleives in strict foundation breeding.1 group that beleives in only red cattle.now for disposition.if a cow or bull is highstrung or bad tempered then they need culling no question.all of the beefmaster bulls ive had are pretty much dog gentle.i will not buy a bull or cow that isnt real gentle.ill buy any cow no matter her color as long as her breeding and EPDs fitt what im looking for.

I actually prefer the looks of my lasiter bull over my total package bull he's got to much of a sway back in my opinion. Haven't seen that in his calves though and they grew very well last year. Probably 50 pounds heavier at weaning then calves out of my lasiter bull. He'll be 3 in August. Gets some range cubes to keep them coming into the pen but not much in him besides grass.

Yes that was 5502 the bald face red bull. Kinda funny best bull ever in Beefmaster wasn't solid red lol. Go look at the bulls on ISA's bull page you can buy semen from some of them. East Caney has posted some photos of 260 if you just look at his post pretty easy to find. I have posted some photos of my bull and some of my calves. Sorry I am having internet trouble and can't post photos. There are two Double-L heifers selling on Saturday and I am sure there are some of his sons in there. I am sure some more of his sons will be in the Beef on Forage sale in October. If you want to contact Buster I am sure his info is on the BBU website with all the members or PM me and I will help you out. If you are interested in anything at Texoma contact Derrick Frenzel. Not sure where you are located at but Casey is another solid breeder in the Texas Panhandle. ISA is out by San Angelo. I breed registered Beefmasters I dumped all my commercial cattle. If I was going to cross breed I would go with Chars that is a solid cross I have seen work very well.

tdc_cattle":2jgaco7j said:
I actually prefer the looks of my lasiter bull over my total package bull he's got to much of a sway back in my opinion. Haven't seen that in his calves though and they grew very well last year. Probably 50 pounds heavier at weaning then calves out of my lasiter bull. He'll be 3 in August. Gets some range cubes to keep them coming into the pen but not much in him besides grass.

TDC, I really appreciate you taking the time to post pictures of your bull. Anyway, I think he looks good for a bull that is in his working clothes with no supplement. What really stand out to me about you bull, is that he appears to be easy keeping. Boy, females from a bull like that are the type every cattleman dreams of owning. Is that bull sired by any of the bulls featured on the Lasater website?

wacocowboy":o9v6kg75 said:
Yes that was 5502 the bald face red bull. Kinda funny best bull ever in Beefmaster wasn't solid red lol. Go look at the bulls on ISA's bull page you can buy semen from some of them. East Caney has posted some photos of 260 if you just look at his post pretty easy to find. I have posted some photos of my bull and some of my calves. Sorry I am having internet trouble and can't post photos. There are two Double-L heifers selling on Saturday and I am sure there are some of his sons in there. I am sure some more of his sons will be in the Beef on Forage sale in October. If you want to contact Buster I am sure his info is on the BBU website with all the members or PM me and I will help you out. If you are interested in anything at Texoma contact Derrick Frenzel. Not sure where you are located at but Casey is another solid breeder in the Texas Panhandle. ISA is out by San Angelo. I breed registered Beefmasters I dumped all my commercial cattle. If I was going to cross breed I would go with Chars that is a solid cross I have seen work very well.

Wacocowboy, I appreciate you taking the time to reply with such honesty and promptness. Anyway, I think I may have found a picture of 260, if you would check out the link I posted earlier and let me know if that is him? Also, where did you buy your females? Did you buy those from Buster as well? I heard from someone that are having a sale in Missouri and Locust Grove soon that will feature some females with the breeding you mentioned in the above statement. Are you planning on attending either of those? Personally, I am thinking of attending the Locust Grove sale because I do not have to travel as far, but I have to figure out dates among other things.

bigbull338":26x5m56q said:
reg beefmaster breeders are pretty much split into groups that adhere to the founders standards.you have 1 group that beleives in strict foundation breeding.1 group that beleives in only red cattle.now for disposition.if a cow or bull is highstrung or bad tempered then they need culling no question.all of the beefmaster bulls ive had are pretty much dog gentle.i will not buy a bull or cow that isnt real gentle.ill buy any cow no matter her color as long as her breeding and EPDs fitt what im looking for.

Thanks for your reply on this thread Bigbull, the insight you have given me has been more than appreciated. Bigbull, would you happen to have pictures of your Beefmaster cattle? Also, are you a registered breeder or a commercial cattleman who uses Beefmaster bulls? Lastly, which genetics do you prefer or does it matter? The only reason I ask is because you referred to the breed being split and I assuming you are referring to ideology, which usually leads to a divide on which genetics people use. Look forward to your response.

SteppedInIt":ykfcc2uu said:
Mottlefaceman413":ykfcc2uu said:
wacocowboy":ykfcc2uu said:

Wacocowboy, are you a commercial cattleman that uses Beefmaster breeder? Reason I ask, is that I was just curious as to what type of cows you are using Beefmaster bull on and what type of success have you had with it and what are the best crosses? Also, would you happen to have a picture of your Buster Bull? I would really like to get a visual of these cattle, so when I start looking I have some sort of measuring stick or standard to go by. Everyone on this thread seems extremely knowledgable and I want to make sure I use this opportunity to get all the information I need because the to visit with intelligent cattle breeders in one place is rare. As for L Bar 5502 I think I found a picture of him and here is link, you guys tell me if I have the correct bull. If this is indeed 5502, boy is he impressive.

http://www.isabeefmasters.com

Yes that is LBAR 5502. Isa has a bull sale every October. I think he averaged somewhere around 5K with the top selling around 10k. The Texoma sale Waco is referring to is http://texomabeefmasters.com/

Steppedinit, Which sales do you go to? That sale average does not seem that bad. It appears, as if a man or woman can go and get a quality bull for a fair price. I have looked at some of ISA's old catalogs and it does not have many if any 5502 sons available anymore. So, what is there cornerstone bull now or do you some genetics you would suggest? Reason being, is that the 5502 semen is showing to be sold out, so there is no way I can get a son of his at this point.

Latest posts