Beefmaster Heifer's

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":2dwnh38a said:
greybeard":2dwnh38a said:
Should be plenty of 1st cutting hay in my area--after that--who knows?

That is why I am relieved to still have a year's worth in reserve built back up.
Last go around with the drought here I made it through destocking and feeding hay year around.
Wiped my reserve comepletly out had 4 roll's left and 1/3 the cow's.
Starting out like 2011 except only have half the cows and barns almost full. Baling is not in the plans. Maybe this fall a little winter pasture depending on the outlook.

You know you have PLENTY of space for a few more girls in your pasture! For that price you should have already had 'em in your trailer! :cboy:

You guys think its worth to pay the addtl cost to register purebred beefmasters? although according to a breeder its only about 50 bucks per head, that still adds up when you're buying a larger #. (basically would be choice of buying one more heifer or registration for the whole lot). if just breeding to angus for commercial calves would you bother registering?

What's a purebred Beefmaster?? Nobody knows what percentage Hereford, Shorthorn, Brahman they started out with. A Beefmaster is a fine breed and I like them myself, but how do you call a threeway cross a purebred.

highgrit":kgp5ef7g said:
What's a purebred Beefmaster?? Nobody knows what percentage Hereford, Shorthorn, Brahman they started out with. A Beefmaster is a fine breed and I like them myself, but how do you call a threeway cross a purebred.

The same way they call all the black line's of non black cattle purbred.
Once you inject outside DNA you can never go back.

Whats that CB, once you go black you'll never go back? :) ...would you register them or not? just curious of your opinion.

brihop":2u55zhvc said:
Whats that CB, once you go black you'll never go back? :) ...would you register them or not? just curious of your opinion.

I wouldn't own them, if your cattle can't compete with out turning them black you need to iprove the breed or change breed's.
It is a BS job the breed's don't exsist. They are crossbred cattle infused with Angus genetic's.
At Brangus, Braford's Gert's etc are standardized crossbred's not trying to BS themselves or the public.

dieselbeef":3vm5cn33 said:
i like mine just fine...all they gotta do is make money...yall are too critical
DB most here dont like beefmasters.an they wont change no matter what.an thats ok we all have our breeds.

don't think CB was being critical of beefmasters, I think he was calling BS on the trend to make black lines of non-black breeds. stabilized 3/8 BR, 5/8 english momma is gonna work & make $ in the heat, everybody knows that. thats why I'm going to take a nice chunk out of my savings to buy a nice set.

i got a few black beefmasters if thats the problem...color dont matter to me...black might pay more or might not...i have red and blk tho and i dont worry bout the few nickels diff

brihop":svdezdn8 said:
You guys think its worth to pay the addtl cost to register purebred beefmasters? although according to a breeder its only about 50 bucks per head, that still adds up when you're buying a larger #. (basically would be choice of buying one more heifer or registration for the whole lot). if just breeding to angus for commercial calves would you bother registering?

I would register them. You will have proof of age and bloodlines. Should you need to sell them, the cost of registration will pay for itself. There is no guarantee that we can or will keep our livestock until it kicks the bucket. If they are registered, they can be marked as seed stock. If not, they are just commercial cows.

dieselbeef":iuyq6dqv said:
i got a few black beefmasters if thats the problem...color dont matter to me...black might pay more or might not...i have red and blk tho and i dont worry bout the few nickels diff

Black Beefmaster is not a real or original composite and is really getting to be a screwed up animal.
That cross is getting way to many genetic's in the wood pile Angus, Hereford, Shorthorn and Brahman.
I really don't like using a composite bull over a set of cow's because you don't know what is coming out.
Science tell's us once you get past a 3 way cross all bet's are off on what what come's out of the woodpile at calving time.
You can drive down the road and look at a herd of registered Brangus some have Brimmer charistic's other's Angus and that is a standardized composite same goes for the other composites. Once you go past a 3 way cross that maximizes the hybred vigor on your calf crop all bet's are off on what you get again just science. You have went from 100% hybred vigor to 75% in your calf crop giving up pound's across the scale makes no sense.
http://www.thecattlesite.com/articles/8 ... eef-cattle

dieselbeef":qjnyb82t said:
http://www.beefmasters.org/pdf/what_is_a_beefmaster.pdf
They are the "breed of the future".
:banana:
(Ain't that how all the breed assoc websites start off with?)

Latest posts