Beefmaster Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher":2e6p4mq0 said:
How about putting some of those Murray Grey bulls on those BeefMasters? That might make some cows!
I would love to see this cross. I actually tried to find photos of them a few days back because I was curious about the kind of calf you would get.

Caustic Burno":3v3by4a9 said:
Know a fellow runs a Char bull on some Beefmaster cows those calves mash the scales way down

Yes, that's true. Those are some scale busting calves, I say whatever a limousin bull does, a Charolais does it better.

gaurus":1fkycmxu said:
Caustic Burno":1fkycmxu said:
Know a fellow runs a Char bull on some Beefmaster cows those calves mash the scales way down

Yes, that's true. Those are some scale busting calves, I say whatever a limousin bull does, a Charolais does it better.
:nod:

JWBrahman":3bc1c75t said:
Kingfisher":3bc1c75t said:
I'm not sure why some of y'all are questioning Knersie. He's spot on.

I don't think anyone was questioning his advice, just his reading comprehension. HD specifically phrased the question to exclude Beefmaster as a potential sire.

Brahman is a stabilized composite.
Beefmaster is not, you can get all kinds of colors and types breeding two Beefmasters to each other. Some Beefmasters look more Bos indicus and some Beefmasters look more Bos taurus.

So in theory Knersie's comments are correct but in the real world not so much. You could actually be increasing heterozygous traits by breeding pure.
As opposed to?

Breeding two Herefords, two Black Angus, two Charolais, etc.

No guarantees in Beefmaster unless you are linebreeding and culling hard.

JWBrahman":17xx8ha4 said:
For example: This is typical of L1 Hereford in our environment. Not a mystery why he looks the way he does.
http://www.cattlerange.com/608C275-201/608C275-201.html

I have seen Lassater brand Beefmasters that look fantastic, and some look like turds. Hard to know what is the true type.
That's a pretty sissy looking Hereford. He does have some balz...;)

JWBrahman":29zff0x6 said:
You could actually be increasing heterozygous traits by breeding pure.

No guarantees in Beefmaster unless you are linebreeding and culling hard.

While I agree that there still is way too much variety in Beefmasters ( a result of a still open herdbook) it's ridiculous to say you'll get less heterozygozity by crossbreeding than you'd get by purebreeding.

Thank you, comedy is hard. Glad to know I got one. Lol

Seriously, you breed Beefmasters to a homo black bull you get a group of black calves.

Beefmaster to Beefmaster will get you:
Red with white spots
Fawn
Cherry red
Cherry red with black
Cherry red with white

Math is harder than comedy, maybe I counted wrong.

JWBrahman":3ohbs7ij said:
Kingfisher":3ohbs7ij said:
I'm not sure why some of y'all are questioning Knersie. He's spot on.

Beefmaster is not, you can get all kinds of colors and types breeding two Beefmasters to each other. Some Beefmasters look more Bos indicus and some Beefmasters look more Bos taurus.

So in theory Knersie's comments are correct but in the real world not so much. You could actually be increasing heterozygous traits by breeding pure.

I guess you have not been to a Beefmaster sale lately or looked on the cowman book? Most breeders have gone to a solid red or black with a little white on face and underline. Do you breed them? My beefmasters are a consistent Red or Black, very little chrome if any. I have one that marks her babies with a little brendle.

Go look at some of East Caney's posts, he has a great herd of Beefmasters and they are the colors I listed.

I've seen few yellow ones East Caney has and I believe that some posters on here has painted Beefmasters which that is why many breeders went solid reds and solid blacks even if they are losing the quality of the cattle and chasing the black hide fad as usual. Some Beefmasters I seen has very little or no Bos Indicus influence.

I worked with a beefmaster herd last week, all yellows to light reds, not a single brindle stripe or white spot. Only Lasater bulls used for AI to breed own bulls.

JWBrahman":z3par71u said:
Go look at some of East Caney's posts, he has a great herd of Beefmasters and they are the colors I listed.
I agree with most things what you said. Didn't he has a solid white Beefmaster bull a little while ago? But I'd rather breed the Beefmaster cows to a bull of another breed for better uniformity in the calves than the Beefmaster bulls.

Real black Beefmasters isn't Angus influenced, but just a sporting color from the wild type colored Beefmasters and the real black Beefmasters do not breed true.

I know most of y'all are smarter and more knowledgeable than I am, but I was taught in school (a long time ago) that Brahman, Hereford, and Shorthorn were used to develop the Beefmaster breed. So where did the black come from if they didn't add Angus in there somewhere?

Rafter S":20gw6iqr said:
I know most of y'all are smarter and more knowledgeable than I am, but I was taught in school (a long time ago) that Brahman, Hereford, and Shorthorn were used to develop the Beefmaster breed. So where did the black come from if they didn't add Angus in there somewhere?
+1

Latest posts