Beefmaster Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
What is the best bull (don't say Beefmaster) to put on Beefmaster cows?

Are you thinking terminal or retaining as breeding stock?

Thank you...

Beefmaster cows have inherited the ability to regulate the calf weight like Brahman and other zebu cows do(60-70 lbs calves not matter the bull size), you can't go wrong with charolais terminal cross.

gaurus":1c86wmbi said:
Beefmaster cows have inherited the ability to regulate the calf weight like Brahman and other zebu cows do(60-70 lbs calves not matter the bull size), you can't go wrong with charolais terminal cross.
I'd like to see that..

Blonde d'acuitaine. Terminal. Gives as good growth as Simmenthal or Charolais, but even better muscle.

IMO:

If terminal, Anazazi and Gaurus have got some good ideas (maybe include Limi in there).

If you're going to keep every single heifer made, then I'd say something different (Aubrac, etc.).

If everything is going through the sale barn, I'd say something different (red or black Angus, etc.).

If you live way (!!) north, I'd use something proven to do real well up north that hairs up good to help out there (Galloway, Aubrac, etc).

If you live way south, I'd use something with proven parasite resistance, heat resistance (Mashona, Tuli, Southpoll, Senepol, Barzona, Brahma, Brangus, etc).

If you want lots of really cool colors, get a blue roan shorthorn bull or some sparkly longhorn bull with lots of chrome and color.

It all depends on your objectives.

WalnutCrest":24lv8n3j said:
IMO:

If terminal, Anazazi and Gaurus have got some good ideas (maybe include Limi in there).

If you're going to keep every single heifer made, then I'd say something different (Aubrac, etc.).

If everything is going through the sale barn, I'd say something different (red or black Angus, etc.).

If you live way (!!) north, I'd use something proven to do real well up north that hairs up good to help out there (Galloway, Aubrac, etc).

If you live way south, I'd use something with proven parasite resistance, heat resistance (Mashona, Tuli, Southpoll, Senepol, Barzona, Brahma, Brangus, etc).

If you want lots of really cool colors, get a blue roan shorthorn bull or some sparkly longhorn bull with lots of chrome and color.

It all depends on your objectives.

I have to think bull availability plays into it. I'd prefer the progeny be polled.

I like the idea Charolais and Limo on cows as terminal. Both are plentiful around me, with good quality.

I like the idea of black Angus on heifers for terminal and heifer retention.

I can tell you what has worked for me. I have seven Beefmaster cows and use a Black Angus bull. The calves are the fastest growing ones that I have. I love my Beefmasters. They make excellent mothers and the Beefmaster Angus cross is hard to beat in my opinion.

Williamsv":3kxmvgh7 said:
I can tell you what has worked for me. I have seven Beefmaster cows and use a Black Angus bull. The calves are the fastest growing ones that I have. I love my Beefmasters. They make excellent mothers and the Beefmaster Angus cross is hard to beat in my opinion.
Where are you located?
How much ear and leather do you get?

Do you keep any of the heifers?

Could you post a pic?

Not many BM around here..

Thanks

I'd didn't read all the replies.
In my area ear and colored cattle get discounted
I'd go with a terminal angus or black limo that'd that take off the ear and make them black

I would suggest using a Gelbvieh on the Beefmaster cow or a Charolais for a terminal cross. I have seen some Gert x Gelbvieh crosses that were impressive. Do not know why BM x GV wouldn't work. The BM x CH would wean a heavy feeder calf.

Latest posts