Beef Heart And Other Odds and Ends

Help Support CattleToday:

greenwillowherefords

Reaction score
Preparing to pick our beef up today, we have been clearing the odds and ends off the bottom of the freezer. (Pork Liver remains at this point) Yesterday, I smoked a beef heart. It was OK that way. When my wife cooks it, she slices it thin and it tastes like Arby's roast beef. I used to like the tongue, but lately I have lost any appetite for it. My wife fixed some stew meat in a Pampered Chef stone in the oven, after cooking it on stove-top for a while. It actually made it tender and tasty! Do others like the heart etc? I can't stand the idea of PORK Liver, although I will eat beef or chicken liver.

My mom used to claim that if she used her Pampered Crap for cooking it would help make anything taste better...

Glad you folks like it - liver, heart, tongue?

Never had it in a way I like it - always turns me off.

Yechhh!!!!

It goes to the dogs here.

Bez

not saying I like it.... just said mom tried to cook it before...... I throw it out whenever I get the chance.

Growing up we just got to the point where we DID NOT ask what it was. It didn't seem to taste as bad if we had no idea it was beef heart.
Still needed A L O T of salt to choke it down though!!

Tried tongue once. It was chopped up and in a kind of a stew. It was licking me while I tried to chew it, never tried it a second time.
Heart didn't empress me one way or the other.
Kidneys may be ok if you boil the pee out of them. Had a Brit tied to feed it to me once. Couldn't gag it down.
Brains and tripe I draw the lines.
But liver, umm, umm good. A prime cut right up there with any cut of steak

dun

As long as it's muscle (e.g. tongue, heart) I'll eat it and I'm liable to realy enjoy myself during the process. If it's not muscle (e.g. liver) then you're going to have to find somebody else to gag it down. It won't touch it.

Craig-TX

Years ago when I was young my parents had the 3 bite rule. Eat 3 bites of something if you don't like it or go to bed. We had beef liver weekly. Had to go to bed early every night we had liver. That lasted about a month......they realised I wasn't going to eat it.

Me? I don't eat any organs, skin, or bones. Some organs I wouldn't feed my dogs...much less a human.

I'll stick to the "good" cuts of meat...guess I'm picky about kind of meat I eat...just never was a bottom feeder...no offense folks!!! Don't have to worry about getting harmed from the BSE disease either...LOL.

8)

The only thing that I do with the heart and liver is fish for catfish. Never have eaten either and don't plan on starting. The T-Bone and Ribeye will ruin you for a cows vital organs.

I don't even pick the tongue up when I pick up the meat from the locker plant.

I'm out on any passive and/or filtering organs: liver, kidney, tripe, menudo, etc. Never tried heart, and probably never will. Prefer voluntary muscles - all the regular cuts of beef, along with tongue (fair), and don't forget the masseter to make barbacoa (tastes like roast). Has anyone ever had the "butcher's steak" - the diaphragm?

We eat anything with fins, fur, and feathers heck I even like snails.
Thats like you boys that eat frog legs, the only thing we throw away is the jump and holler, front legs and back is frog to. Beef heart is good like liver, brains and eggs good also. Haven't been to a hog killin since I was a kid remember Grandma and Aunts slinging the crap out of the hog guts washing in clorox water and stuffing with sausage. Always had hog liver on hog killin days.

Campground Cattle":2k43ni0l said:
We eat anything with fins, fur, and feathers heck I even like snails.
Thats like you boys that eat frog legs, the only thing we throw away is the jump and holler, front legs and back is frog to. Beef heart is good like liver, brains and eggs good also. Haven't been to a hog killin since I was a kid remember Grandma and Aunts slinging the be nice out of the hog guts washing in clorox water and stuffing with sausage. Always had hog liver on hog killin days.

you can have the liver ill just stick close to the pot and get some cracklins

Campground Cattle":3cw3fgp0 said:
Haven't been to a hog killin since I was a kid remember Grandma and Aunts slinging the be nice out of the hog guts washing in clorox water and stuffing with sausage.

I don't think I'll be eating anything that has to be washed with "clorox water" to be fit for consumption! Bleh! :p

With our beef we picked up yesterday, for the first time they included the kidneys. My wife wants to know how they should be cooked, but I shall not eat them, and I'll guarantee that she won't either. What are your suggestions for cooking heart, tongue, and liver? Again, I no longer can stand the tongue, but I like the heart, and tolerate liver.

To put this in perspective, my favorite is either sirloin or t-bone, and every steak cut and hamburger comes before the heart in my regards.

docgraybull":l4vxq2wf said:
Campground Cattle":l4vxq2wf said:
Haven't been to a hog killin since I was a kid remember Grandma and Aunts slinging the be nice out of the hog guts washing in clorox water and stuffing with sausage.

I don't think I'll be eating anything that has to be washed with "clorox water" to be fit for consumption! Bleh! :p

Apparently you would rather have you hog intestines unwashed before stuffing with sausage. You city folk keep turnin your nose up at real sausage smoked in a real smokehouse oh so good. For you city folk sausage was stuffed in hog intestines rolled and tied, where do you think the colloquialism came from you look like a gut with the s... slung out of it.
Question other than Dun(I know he has been to one) how many of ya'll have been to a real Hog killin where the meat was prepared and put in a smokehouse.

Well, I am a "bottom feeder" Bill, and your dogs would sure appreciate the oppurtunity to be the same if given the choice! Our freezer is divided up ground beef, roasts, brisket and ribs, steaks. Steaks always run out first. The ground beef is steadily evaporating, the roasts go slower and we get sick of them toward the end when we are havin roast every third meal to clean it out to make room for more! Briskets-mmmmm....reserved for company and the ribs--I'd assume give em to the dogs usually. Sorry, but I prefer pork for ribs! We have a "MISC freezer" also. Full of tongue, liver, soup bones, and heart. Some people that buy our beef ask for tongue, but they usually pass on liver and other misc. We like liver (lots of onions and ketchup) but the rest usually is reserved for treats for the dogs. If I knew how heart or tongue was to be cooked, we'd try it.

I'll pretty much only eat meat and leave the guts for someone else. On the other hand I'll eat meat from some creatures you might not expect. Like alligators, turtles, froglegs, conch (saltwater snail), Florida lobster and a multitude of other aquatic species. Never tried chiterlings or tripe- the smell kept me away. Seen plenty of old crackers eat possums and coons but never got the stomach to try. Mexican lady talked me into beef tongue once. Once was enough. Rattlesnake ain't half bad but hard to come by. Fried calamari is a favorite as well as mullet gizzards.

Latest posts