Beef Cattle Short Course - TAMU

Help Support CattleToday:

glfgy74":2ab3r7sh said:
My wife went last year and I'm thinking about heading down this year. Does anyone on here attend this event? The wife thinks it was great for beginners but may be a bit simple for the Veteran Cattleman.

http://animalscience-old.tamu.edu/ansc/BCSC/

I think its a worth while trip....

If it weren't for having to look at all that maroon and white, I'd go just for:
Brush Busters Demonstration
Learn how to beat Mesquite and master Cedar with Brush Busters. This
workshop will also cover how to take care of Pricklypear, Greenbriar and how
to avoid lumps when treating cut stumps. Producers will also hear about
how to take out Tallow trees, manage Macartney, and how to control
Huisache.

Private Pesticide Applicator Training Course.
An opportunity to obtain a pesticide applicators license. Training will occur
before lunch with an opportunity to take the certification test at 1:00 p.m.
There will be an additional charge of $65 for materials that will be paid at the
meeting. Those interested should contact Jennifer Makerney at 979-845-

glfgy74":263z924r said:
My wife went last year and I'm thinking about heading down this year. Does anyone on here attend this event? The wife thinks it was great for beginners but may be a bit simple for the Veteran Cattleman.

Don't know that I'd ever consider myself a veteran so I'm sure I could learn something.... After all it is at "Aggieland". (Gig'em) ;-)

you never stop learning. even if it seems simple, sometimes you will learn a trick or two that you didn't know, plus you can ask questions.

:yuck: SWMBO & I went 5 yrs ago and thought it was a good experience. Always up to date info and good food. We 're talking about going next year, not going to be able to fit it in this year.
Also a great way to get some CEU's. :clap:

I'll have to see if wife is out of school in that timeframe. She doesn't let me get too far afield for long by myself anymore--I call her the "ol winch".
I wander off to far and she yanks me back like a wrecker truck jerkin a car out of the creek.

2wgx4q9.jpg

$160 registration fee if done before Aug 1 and $200 after that if I read it right--plus lodging costs and parking fees.
Might be cheaper for me to drive back and forth--196 mi round trip/day tho. :(

greybeard,
There are a couple of hotels that are not too pricey although they are not fancy. The Motel 6 on Texas Ave is not bad. We stay there when we go to the horse shows at the Expo Center. It is about $56 a night. Fuel cost driving back and forth could be higher.
La Quinta in College Station is around $56 a night also if you use promo code TX4H.

glfgy74":1gkoscz1 said:

You should attend.
Dr Ritche is one you never want to miss if he is giving a seminar.
We have a very active county agent in Polk county that has teamed up with Tyler and Trinty counties.
They put on a workshop every couple of months last one was April 5th on Beef Forage.

Caustic Burno":wo94x8bm said:
glfgy74":wo94x8bm said:

You should attend.
Dr Ritche is one you never want to miss if he is giving a seminar.
We have a very active county agent in Polk county that has teamed up with Tyler and Trinty counties.
They put on a workshop every couple of months last one was April 5th on Beef Forage.

I certainly plan on attending...timing isn't so good, but when is it...

chippie":1b7xlcwz said:
greybeard,
There are a couple of hotels that are not too pricey although they are not fancy. The Motel 6 on Texas Ave is not bad. We stay there when we go to the horse shows at the Expo Center. It is about $56 a night. Fuel cost driving back and forth could be higher.
La Quinta in College Station is around $56 a night also if you use promo code TX4H.
Not to mention having to dodge all those deer up around Shiro.

I do believe I will try to attend tho.

Latest posts