Beef Calf with Scours

Help Support CattleToday:

Hereford2

Reaction score
Hi I have a 2 week old Beef bull calf with scours. Back story on him, I got him off the farm next to us, mom was down couldn't get up, he had a dose of powdered Clostrum within the first hour, then another dose of powdered Clostrum 6 hours later,. When he was 5 days old o put him in with a Week old holstein bull calf, that appeared Healthy, 3 days later the holstein scoured and died after having scours for 24 hours. I moved (This Beef calf) to another pen at first sight of scours in the other calf. 3 days later Beef calf has scours and temperature of 103.4 vet came out took his temp, gave him a shot of Micotil and Wormed him, said the scours were from worms. Over the next 4 days Beef calfs poop has gone from bright yellow scours to stringy yellow poop to white scours today. Yesterday is the first day this calfs nose has been wet like normal, its still wet today,. His ears are up he's bouncing around, acting like he feels good , but has scours.. I've been giving him 2 bottles of whole Jersey milk and 2 bottles of electrolytes every day, spacing the electrolytes 4 to 5 hours apart from the milk,. I've tried pig scour medicine, raw eggs, electrolytes, still scours. Besides the stuff the vet gave him,. Any ideas?

When you give him antibiotics, you kill the "good" bugs in his stomach. I would (and always) give Probias whenever I give any calf an antibiotic.
His system is building up good bugs now, again. The pudding consistency should be good.
Whenever you have cattle from different farms - no matter how healthy they are - they never should be mingled together at such a stressful time in their life. All cattle are born with antibodies to certain diseases that they get from their mom's colostrum (IF they get their mom's colostrum). Every farm has different diseases that the cow builds up immunities to, so she only passes on immunities she has been exposed to on her own farm.
Also, the powdered colostrum may have been Colostrum Supplement not Colostrum Replacement (about a $20 difference)
Keep an eye on him. He should be over the hump now. Good luck.

If your going to accept calves from other farms, you always segregate them from all other calves. Neighbor buys orphan day old calves from locals and all are kept segregated from each other until at least a month old.

I know better, because I've always kept calves separated in the past, I didn't have a pen open to keep him in by himself, I considered staking him out under a shelter with a halter for a few days until I had a pen available, but the neighbor has a dog that keeps getting loose, and it attacks animals.... So I decided to risk putting him with another calf, and it was a bad decision... Any suggestions for putting weight on him? He's gotten skinny from being sick,. He's still not a 100% vet said he needs wormed again, so I did that. I've raised several bottle calves in the last 3 years, never had scours from worms before, so it's a new experience for me.