Beef brands what is the diffrence

Help Support CattleToday:

Cowboy steak

Reaction score
Tyson food has the following brands: the regular IBP brand but then also features Star Ranch Angus, Chairmen's Reserve, Open Prairie Natural Angus
Cargill has the following brands Excel and Sterling Silver Beef as a brand name
National Beef has the following brands Vintage Natural, Black Canyon Angus, and Naturewell Beef.
Creekstone Farms has chef's master and their own USDA prime beef
So as Greater Omaha Beef and Aurora Angus Beef

My question is what is the difference between these brands? they are all black angus and how this affects the taste for the end user. If you are in store and presented by different brands which one you will pick and why? why creekstone will sell higher to a beef processor compared to others?

dun":6bpu7hp1 said:
Sterling Silver is the sme as CAB except the hide is red instead of black.
Here's a link to all of the USDA branded beef programs
http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/ams.fet ... acct=lsstd

Dun you are pretty much correct but having sold Sterling Silver for years and sold against it for years I can tell you for sure that the Yield Grade on Sterling Silver is not as high as CAB. Most if not all the specs are identical but it never was a good yielding product.

That chart is a good place to start.

Be advised though that even when programs spec the same there can be marked differences when the rubber meets the road. Specifically in the area of feeds and feeding programs. Probably the most consistent program from a cattle POV and also from a feeding POV is the Swift 1855. I have not lost a cutting on it for over 3 years. The quality is top drawer and it is EXTREMELY CONSISTENT.

I guarantee you that CAB from Texas and CAB from Nebraska will not eat the same. The upper Midwest has by far the best feed. Pacific Northwest maybe the least desirable.( probably influenced by Potato by products)

3waycross":2h5bz3z0 said:
dun":2h5bz3z0 said:
Sterling Silver is the sme as CAB except the hide is red instead of black.
Here's a link to all of the USDA branded beef programs
http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/ams.fet ... acct=lsstd

Dun you are pretty much correct but having sold Sterling Silver for years and sold against it for years I can tell you for sure that the Yield Grade on Sterling Silver is not as high as CAB. Most if not all the specs are identical but it never was a good yielding product.

That chart is a good place to start.

Be advised though that even when programs spec the same there can be marked differences when the rubber meets the road. Specifically in the area of feeds and feeding programs. Probably the most consistent program from a cattle POV and also from a feeding POV is the Swift 1855. I have not lost a cutting on it for over 3 years. The quality is top drawer and it is EXTREMELY CONSISTENT.

I guarantee you that CAB from Texas and CAB from Nebraska will not eat the same. The upper Midwest has by far the best feed. Pacific Northwest maybe the least desirable.( probably influenced by Potato by products)

When we retianed ownership we always got the same premium for the reds as sterling silver as the blacks for CAB. A packer was the one that told me they were the same. I've never been able to tell the difference between our Red Angus on the tabe and any of the blacks.

Cowboy steak":2zmnjf4r said:
so what is the best in terms of taste.
Persoanl preference. I don;t care for any of the real lean grass finished stuff, or even the high graded grass finsihed stuff.

Cowboy steak":2p9a8hdd said:

Once again we are faced with the age old question.....What's a henway.......as always it depends on the hen.

The answer to your question is a moving target.........my answer would be which day, which cow , which steak.

Dun and I just named two of the top programs in the country. Anyone who tells you that a given program is the best every day of every year is feeding you a load of :bs: :bs: :bs:

Why you think I did not read the program. Am I missing something? For some reason they are a big hit in northeast. Almost all steakhouses in New York want them. I have no idea. They are also way over priced. Their program is no big difference than others. I may be missing something. Chef's table which is supposedly low choice is what is stocked in all BBQ joint here in New York. Don't under estimate. Any one of those is serving 2000Ib brisket a day!

Cowboy steak":18wq0fe4 said:
Why you think I did not read the program. Am I missing something? For some reason they are a big hit in northeast. Almost all steakhouses in New York want them. I have no idea. They are also way over priced. Their program is no big difference than others. I may be missing something. Chef's table which is supposedly low choice is what is stocked in all BBQ joint here in New York. Don't under estimate. Any one of those is serving 2000Ib brisket a day!
Lot of difference in brisket and a steak.

dun":2xw18gkg said:
Cowboy steak":2xw18gkg said:
Persoanl preference. I don;t care for any of the real lean grass finished stuff, or even the high graded grass finsihed stuff.

Cowboy, taste is SO subjective how can one have a definitive answer?

Dun, just want to put this out here, grass fed has so many variables from genetics, feed, season of harvest, age of harvest, processor protocol that it is hard to label the industry. And once again taste is too subjective.

Latest posts