Bee sting

Help Support CattleToday:

You might to get a couple epi pens to keep around. Of course never have one handy when the accident happens. On edit: I see it has been suggested above.
I've thought about it a couple times for this thread. It might not work as the heat might destroy the contents of the Epi-Pen, but check into keeping one in the glove box in your work vehicle. See if there is a heat resistant Epi-Pen available. Might not be, but worth checking on.

my old time remedy for stings. small amount chewing tobacco in palm of your hand, spit to moisten it and put on sting. if you can do it within a minute or so, it wont swell up and will stop stinging. im 63 and have used it 30 times or so on me and my kids. if it is 20 minutes later it helps, but it is already swelled up by then. i don't chew tobacco but i keep a pack in the refrigerator in case
That actually works if all you do in reaction to a sting is swell a bit and get some pain. Doesn't work for those who are allergic/highly allergic. The tobacco is an astringent and will draw SOME of the venom out.

Good advise, @MurraysMutts! Seriously, get one. In the meantime, keep Bendadryl handy. Almost lost my brother to anaphylactic shock and he now always has an epi pen handy.

Last time I got stung, Mr TC sprayed it with WD-40 and it really did help reduce the pain. I have no clue why.
good advise on the Bendadryl. It isn't near as good as an Epi-Pen, but it will buy you a few additional minutes in an emergency, which could be critical. An Epi-Pen is the preferred 'go-to' though if an emergency happens and it is available. You will learn if you need to start carrying one, but the Pen is not meant to be the 'cure'. It is meant to stabilize you until you can get to medical assistance. Occasionally, a 2nd dose from another Pen is required before you reach medical help, so a 2nd Pen is a good idea. Usually, the Pens come in a 2-pack. Leann, my wife, used to have to carry an Epi-Pen. Hers was for food allergies. I needed to know how to administer it if she was unable. I'm not an EMT or medical professional, I just happen to be familiar with Epi-Pens due to circumstances. FYI, Leann did require the use of a Pen once. She was able to administer it herself. It was needed and it did what it was supposed to. Although, her description of administering it to herself was 'a really bad bee/wasp sting. So if you get stung and you end up needing a Pen, you have got to turn around and sting yourself all over again.

I've developed some kind of allergy to the bass turds as I've gotten a few years on me.
Swell up something fierce! And sore! Omg sore.

If the dang things hit me anywhere above my upper arms/shoulders, I get light headed/hot flashes like I'm gonna pass out too.

I can sure do without em. To be sure, I'm extra careful any more
Get an epi pen and keep benadryl in your vehicles

What do you reckon goes after the hornets' nests? Bears, skunks????

I meant to go back that evening with the 12 gauge, always wanted to try that. Hoping it's still there, honestly.

I collected a big hornet's nest one time after several hard freezes and on a cold morning. I put it in the shed for a while to get it out of the weather. I went to the shed a few days later on a warm day and had to leave because the hornets had not all died and were back in business. I got it out on the next cold spell!

I collected a big hornet's nest one time after several hard freezes and on a cold morning. I put it in the shed for a while to get it out of the weather. I went to the shed a few days later on a warm day and had to leave because the hornets had not all died and were back in business. I got it out on the next cold spell!
I usually get out the torch and warm them little buggers up.

Latest posts