Bed and Breakfast

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
If memory serves me correctly someone on this forum asked about bed and breakfasts. My response at the time was that I knew someone that ran one and did ok with it from what I could tell. Yesterday my wife and I met with him to discuss this topic as a possibility for us. We are in a different county than he is, but still we are positioned within 25 miles of Lexington and 35 miles from the Red River Gorge area.
We are thinking that with the push that we are seeing for building agritourism in the area that we might have an option that would be better than flat out renting out a house literally in our front yard. I believe that we would have very little infrastructure changes and could leave a good portion of the existing furniture. For me liability and insurance would be one of the major concerns.
Does anyone on this board do this? Has anyone stayed at a bed and breakfast?

Ky hills said:
If memory serves me correctly someone on this forum asked about bed and breakfasts. My response at the time was that I knew someone that ran one and did ok with it from what I could tell. Yesterday my wife and I met with him to discuss this topic as a possibility for us. We are in a different county than he is, but still we are positioned within 25 miles of Lexington and 35 miles from the Red River Gorge area.
We are thinking that with the push that we are seeing for building agritourism in the area that we might have an option that would be better than flat out renting out a house literally in our front yard. I believe that we would have very little infrastructure changes and could leave a good portion of the existing furniture. For me liability and insurance would be one of the major concerns.

Yes. I have used Bed and Breakfast Lodging and have never had a bad experience. You are in a fantastic location. If you open one, I will promise a visit.

Hook2.0 said:
We were going to do one here at the new places, but I can't stand the idea of certain segments of society being in my house. Screw that

What segment would that be? :lol:

I have stayed in a few bed and breakfasts in my travels. Never a bad experience. Always good eats. Quality beds are a must.

Hook2.0 said:
jehosofat said:
Hook2.0 said:
We were going to do one here at the new places, but I can't stand the idea of certain segments of society being in my house. Screw that

you trying to get me banned again?? :cowboy:

Renting your lake house to a tribe of porch monkey's will destroy your lake house. They even disputed the credit card deposit that was through a rental company and we lost that also. Never again, but I said that last time with rentals in Florida. I need my head examined and :deadhorse: .

True Grit Farms said:
Hook2.0 said:
jehosofat said:

Renting your lake house to a tribe of porch monkey's will destroy your lake house. They even disputed the credit card deposit that was through a rental company and we lost that also. Never again, but I said that last time with rentals in Florida. I need my head examined and :deadhorse: .

Did you market through AirBNB or do it yourself?

Stayed at the Sully Mansion (joke) in New Orleans a few weeks ago. Decent place but the breakfast was a joke and it was over priced.

I've stayed in several across Britain, Scotland and Ireland and they were really good.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
True Grit Farms said:
Hook2.0 said:

Premier.

True Grit Farms said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
True Grit Farms said:

Premier.

They don't insure you against losses from damage like that?

Bright Raven said:
Ky hills said:

Yes. I have used Bed and Breakfast Lodging and have never had a bad experience. You are in a fantastic location. If you open one, I will promise a visit.
But who will pet your cows while you are gone :lol:

TennesseeTuxedo said:
True Grit Farms said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

Premier.

They don't insure you against losses from damage like that?

Nope, our rider on the home owners insurance paid for most of the damage. Besides being scammed and violated by a tribe of porch monkey's it wasn't a big deal. I do feel Premier was responsible for the deducible, but it wasn't worth hiring a lawyer.

Lockheart gables in Fort Worth is the best I have ever been too. Amazing restored old place. It is right on I30 too. What a shocker that place was for me. You better book 3 or 4 months in advance. Forget getting anything around Valentines. Lots of honeymooners go there.

I have been to others that were decent. Themes are a big seller.

backhoeboogie said:
Lockheart gables in Fort Worth is the best I have ever been too. Amazing restored old place. It is right on I30 too. What a shocker that place was for me. You better book 3 or 4 months in advance. Forget getting anything around Valentines. Lots of honeymooners go there.

I have been to others that were decent. Themes are a big seller.

"And we were drinking like
The end was not in sight
And we drank all afternoon
We asked the world to wait
So we can celebrate
A gringo honeymoon"

The closest thing I have to a B&B is a 2 bed room self catering log cabin I bought in May 2017. I bought it because it was too close to my farm and I didn't want someone living in it. I paid $74,000, rent it for $225.00 per night and book it through my hotel. For the 2 years I have had it I've grossed $23,883. We only rent it in the summer, so we only market it about 1/2 a year. The hotel pays for the upkeep, taxes, utilities and housekeeping so I pretty much put $12,000 a year in my pocket. I don't know what it costs to insure. It is covered under the hotels umbrella policy so it's lumped in with a bunch of other stuff.

Latest posts