Bear Tooth Ranch is sold

Help Support CattleToday:

polledbull

Reaction score
I read where Mel Gibson sold BearTooth . The Buyer was a neighboor and plans to continue to keep the staff in place and continue to rasie registered Gelbvieh and Angus . He bought 25,000 acres and leased another 25,000 acres. ,Just passing this along to the readers.

You can sure find a lot of BT bulls in the pedigree of many Herefords even today. Especially 15G. I have BT CL Domino 15G and 445M in some of my bloodlines. Steven Lee of Triple L told me that he thought 445M was one of the greatest ever. Jim Reed doesn't care much for 445M. :?:

greenwillowherefords":1sv5g1zw said:

445M is in alot of mine too, willow.

One of my best friends did his intership at Beartooth. Didn't want to come home.

certherfbeef":rdn85woa said:
greenwillowherefords":rdn85woa said:

One of my best friends did his intership at Beartooth. Didn't want to come home.

445 is in some of ours, too and have some cows that trace back to Coppertone Sara.

i was at the dispersal. beautiful place.

I've seen their website. Nice. The big old bull I had last year had BT Vannessa and Gilead 67K and loads of Graystone. Some ACE too. Actually was sired by an ACE bull.

txag":8r0yrpzn said:
certherfbeef":8r0yrpzn said:
greenwillowherefords":8r0yrpzn said:

445 is in some of ours, too and have some cows that trace back to Coppertone Sara.

i was at the dispersal. beautiful place.
What was special about her? Did she have good epd's? :lol:
http://www.billingsgazette.com/index.ph ... -ranch.inc

Back when I was a teenager in the early 80's, Beartooth was the deal in the Polled Herefords (along with Glenkirk Farms). The thing I remember about a lot of the Beartooth bulls (esp. Driver and Advancer 12H) was that they were a little shy on milk and pretty heavy on birth weights. I also remember that Beartooth was one of the first places with a "cooled" show barn.

Did Beartooth raise Angus and Gelbvieh before they sold out? How big were they? and how good of cattle were they?

Beartooth has had angus and gelbvieh since Mel Gibson bought the ranch. Don't know too much about the gelbvieh program, but the angus program has been amongst the elite for the last 10+ years. They didn't buy a lot of cattle (not a member of the $100,000 cow trading club) but they always had good sales and numerous Denver winners. My understanding is that both programs will continue under the new owners.

CopeMan":2aezeh2e said:
really? Mel Gibson (the actor) is in the cattle buisness?
As I understand (subject to my being an idiot) the cattle business for Mr. Gibson, has always paid it's own way. If that is so , the management and cowboys should be commended. It is hard to make a purebred business support that much staff and not be a money pit.

well all this is pretty interesting. I never new that old Mel Gibson, was a cattlemen. Is his Australian ranch a purebred also?

Latest posts