Beans

Help Support CattleToday:

Earl Thigpen

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to post this question but here goes.

Someone out there must know something about Soy Beans. There is a new BioDiesel place starting up within market distance of my place and I'm thinking about putting in 15 or so acres of Soy Beans that could be used as feed stock for the diesel plant.

What is fair market value for SB's?
Can the plant material be used for hay?
What is fair value to pay the harvestors? Haulers?
What would be considered a good yield (yes, I know that depends on a lot of different things) in tons per acre?
Is there any "waste" in the processing and could that waste be used in a cattle feeding program? (SB's are very high in protien?)

Thanks in advance for your response(s)

You will waste more time in energy on 15 acres of soybeans. You can bale the stubble but most people don't like it. Unless your going to use it yourself I would plant something else.

From what I understand, to be involved in a plant like this, you have to commit to providing so many bushels per year if it is set up as a coop. Don't remember the exact numbers, but I can assure you it is more than 15 acres of beans could provide. Boone

Earl Thigpen":vxx0plq6 said:

Someone out there must know something about Soy Beans. There is a new BioDiesel place starting up within market distance of my place and I'm thinking about putting in 15 or so acres of Soy Beans that could be used as feed stock for the diesel plant.

What would be considered a good yield (yes, I know that depends on a lot of different things) in tons per acre?
Is there any "waste" in the processing and could that waste be used in a cattle feeding program? (SB's are very high in protien?)

Market close at CHS crush plant near my home today was $6.41 per bushel.

Yes the bean straw can be baled for hay we do it everyyear.

Average price in my area charged by custom harvesters to have your beans harvested is $32.00 per acre.

Hauling for the first 5 miles to the crush plant is $.07 per bushel. Any miles over 5 miles add accordingly at the rate of three dollars per loaded mile.

Average Minnesota yeild for soybeans for 2005 I believe was 45 bushels per acre.

As far as waste they don't call it that they call it soybean meal and you pay more than enough for it. Cheaper alternatives are available when it comes to protien.

somn":17pe9lvp said:
Earl Thigpen":17pe9lvp said:

Market close at CHS crush plant near my home today was $6.41 per bushel.

Yes the bean straw can be baled for hay we do it everyyear.

Average price in my area charged by custom harvesters to have your beans harvested is $32.00 per acre.

Hauling for the first 5 miles to the crush plant is $.07 per bushel. Any miles over 5 miles add accordingly at the rate of three dollars per loaded mile.

Average Minnesota yeild for soybeans for 2005 I believe was 45 bushels per acre.

As far as waste they don't call it that they call it soybean meal and you pay more than enough for it. Cheaper alternatives are available when it comes to protien.

Thanks, Somn, for the reply. I can sure see where the numbers are not adding up unless you've got a couple thousand acres in beans. Kinda reminds me of the old joke about taking a loss on every bushell but making up for it in quantity. :lol:

Again, thanks for the answers.

Earl, 15 acres of beans would be a good draw for some deer (especially if no other beans are grown nearby). I plant 5acres every year for a deer club. They keep an electric fence around the bean patch 'till the beans get waist high or so, then take it up. In a month's time there's nothing but stalks in the field. The deer hunters claim to have seen as many as 40 deer at a time in the field.

Ga
How does an electric fence keep the deer out? Please let me know and I'm sure we can make semi loads of money up here from the corn and bean farmers. Also is a 50/50 split alright?

Angus Guy, there's two ways to go about it. You can fence it in a way to keep most deer out, and there's a way to fence it and keep all deer out. I'll take some pic's this week of both types and post them next weekend.

Latest posts