Rattle Beans, Siene Beans??

Help Support CattleToday:

ElginRinger

Reaction score
I'm having a real problem with what we call Rattle Beans around my tanks. I don't have a picture of them but they are often found in and around tanks and low, wet areas. Has anyone had any experience with a pesticide that will kill these things and is safe for the fish ?

My experience is that a little Remedy & diesel mixture will kill them (the senna beans) although mine were in wet areas, not in a tank. I can't remember what the label says about fish, but it probably says to avoid use near fishing waters. Nevertheless, as to the fish, I worried about that some when I applied Remedy/diesel to a bunch of huisache that was growing all around my tank, some on dry land when the tank was low and some that were still in the water, but to my knowledge I never had a single fish die as a result. At the time the huisache were of much greater concern to me than the fish. The tank didn't have bass, but did have cats, hybrid bluegills, fathead minnows, etc. Just try not to get much of the mixture in the water. Either use a backpack sprayer to carefully spray the lower 2 feet or so of the senna bean bush -- or affix a semi-worn out paint brush to a piece of wood and "paint" the stem. (read the Remedy label about the basal stem method). Try to get them killed out before another seed pod crop is made.

On the other hand, if you like to hunt doves, there's nothing better than a September tank shoot where you hide amongst the senna bean bushes and ambush the doves as they come in for late afternoon water.

Diquat | Endothall | Fluridone | Glyphosate | 2,4-D | Triclopyr | Imazapyr

All of the above herbicides have an "Aquatic" label. Meaning they can be used in ponds, etc.

they are also really easy to pull up if you dont let them get too big.

Thanks for the replies. Yep, makes good cover for dove hunting, been there done that. And I also have pulled them up fairly easy around the fence along the yard. They'll be real easy to pull up for awhile, we got 2.4" of rain yesterday in about an hour. Thanks again for your help.

MikeC":13e7klp1 said:
Diquat | Endothall | Fluridone | Glyphosate | 2,4-D | Triclopyr | Imazapyr

All of the above herbicides have an "Aquatic" label. Meaning they can be used in ponds, etc.

So much for Government labeling then

Put Glyphosate (Roundup) near your fish tank and watch them die real quick

Walk bare foot on a sprayed area and some people get nausious and develope reactions to it . All people absorb it through their skin

ElginRinger":19xlw0kp said:
I'm having a real problem with what we call Rattle Beans around my tanks. I don't have a picture of them but they are often found in and around tanks and low, wet areas. Has anyone had any experience with a pesticide that will kill these things and is safe for the fish ?

Back in the early 70's I sprayed many many acres of rattle beans in your area ( Blue on FM 696). Pretty much all we had was 2-4-D. They were so tall I had to stand on the tractor to see over them. You can spray the 2-4-D on aquatic plants also if they become a problem.
Seems like mesquite was our biggest problem back then.

Latest posts