BE CAREFUL BUYING CATTLE

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefordcross

Reaction score
Let's just call this guy an aquaintance of mine. He purchased 49 Cow/calf bred back families from a guy and about a week later the FSA office showed up at his place with about six local guys with trailers and loaded the cattle up. Seems the guy he bought them from had money borrowed against 'em and you guessed it, the guy from FSA had a paper in his hand to pick 'em up and a State Trooper with him and the guy at FSA told him to call a lawyer which he did and the Trooper and the FSA guy waited until he talked to his lawyer and the lawyer told him that there was nothing he could do but, file a civil suit against the guy he bought the cattle from. Worse yet is that some of the calves he had already sent to the sale barn and who knows what will happen to those. He called me literally crying!! He came by and we talked for about four hours about this mess. He took part of his retirement out to buy these cattle and the lawyer told him yesterday or today that he may spend as much as he paid for them on legal expenses and not get a darn dime from the guy. Word is the guy has filed bankruptcy now.

Bankruptcy Court wont save the scum bags butt. What he did should fall into the Jurisdiction of State Police, as a Felony.

My guess he skips town on a Southbound Freight.

I would go down to the county court house and file a lean against his home and property. He will never be able to sell till the lean is satisfied. Your proceeds will automatically come out of the profit from his sale when/if he ever trys to sell. ;-)

Bad thing is though if he was in that bad a shape I dought he owns a home either or anything worth while. Tragic :(
When it comes to justice theres no such thing as wats morally right & wrong .

Was this guy an elected lawman? (the guy who sold the hocked cattle and declared bankruptcy)

1.)Courts will never move fast enough
2.)SP says theres no precedence and cattle don't have serial numbers?, How ya like that??
3.)He wasn't a lawman
4.)Your right crowder bankruptcy won't save him from this but, since the civil suit is going after money all they told him they can do is file it and wait until it's over and then try to go after him.
5.)The only way you would get a lien against his house is if you won the civil suit

C & C Land & Catt":kudzz1t9 said:
used 12 gauge - 125$
1 box of shells - 5$
gas to drive to a lake and dispose of gun - 50$

The joy of killing the ba$tard who cheated u out of a good chunk of your retirement and leaving no trail - priceless

1 old Goose Down pillow from a yard sale= .75cents
1 Bucket of Black Mamie 9.95
1 Gallon Kerosene 2.85
1 Box of Kitchen Matches 1.29
For the Satisfaction he'll never do it again.Priceless.

For everything else, there's Master Card.

I'm willing to bet that this is the same ol' boy that's been all over the news up here - he's actually only about 29 or so. He's in a good amount of hot water already with some feedlots in the midwest. May not be him but sounds a lot like him.

HC, your friend is gonna need a lot of help and moral support right now. My brother faced the same financial devastation only under a different set of circumstances. It was a swindle, however. We wound up having to sell the family farm over it...all 272 acres. That was the roughest year we'd spent since losing our parents. That's how we wound up with this smaller farm...he and I and my sister used some of what we'd gotten from the sale of the property to buy this. I told my brother if he wanted to start over, we'd do it...and man has it been tough...but I'd do it again in a heart beat for him.

That's been about 5 years ago. It's still not the best set of circumstances, but it's finally coming around. I was, however, able to get a certain amount of satisfaction not too terribly long ago against the piece of garbage that swindled him...and no, it wasn't with a rope or a gun or a box of matches. I overheard him pitching the same deal to a newcomer at the auction...a man that had just started buying up baby calves to ship them out of state. The man sounded interested in what this jerk was pitching and I watched the exchange phone numbers. As the newcomer was driving thru the pickup line at the sale barn, I went up to him, knocked on his window, hopped in his pickup and told him the entire story, down to us losing the farm. That was the first time I'd told anyone other than my close friends. I laid out the whole scam. The man was stunned, and since he knew of my family, fortunately he believed me. The swindler is still around, pitching his scam, but from what I can tell, the newcomer must've put the word out. Maybe not as satisfying as a rope...but still somewhat effective.

Alice

Alice":2wcqiq7n said:
The swindler is still around, pitching his scam, but from what I can tell, the newcomer must've put the word out. Maybe not as satisfying as a rope...but still somewhat effective.

Alice

We have a horse trader over here too. He has picked a lot of pockets in his life time. It is always small scale. Buys something cheap and markets it as wonderful. You probably know him too. He mostly gets into the pockets of new folks. All the old timers know him.

As I have said in many post never one stop shop for your herd.
Even if you think you know the person. No one knows what goes on behind closed doors.
To many ways to get your butt burned.

backhoeboogie":155uo6nr said:
Alice":155uo6nr said:
The swindler is still around, pitching his scam, but from what I can tell, the newcomer must've put the word out. Maybe not as satisfying as a rope...but still somewhat effective.

Alice

We have a horse trader over here too. He has picked a lot of pockets in his life time. It is always small scale. Buys something cheap and markets it as wonderful. You probably know him too. He mostly gets into the pockets of new folks. All the old timers know him.

I probably do. There's several of those types around here...

Alice

The three things I won't stand for is lying, cheating, and steeling. If he swindled me, I would spend my last dime keeping him in court.

Let the system work. Sooner or later that young man will pay. And he may pay your leagel fees too.

alabama":23v00ecc said:
The three things I won't stand for is lying, cheating, and steeling. If he swindled me, I would spend my last dime keeping him in court.

Besides just trying to sue him for the money, which might be in vain anyway if he has nothing to get.

I would put a lot of pressure on the prosecuting attorney to prosecute him to the fullest extent. This is one of those cases a prosecutor might plea bargain out to a slap on the hand, unless you bring a lot of attention to it. Getting all the farming community behind you might help put the pressure on him to make sure the guy does some jail time.