BBQ Turkey???

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Anybody ever BBQ a turkey? We have a huge one coming for this x-mas. 35 lbs. Don't think it's going to fit in any of our roasters, and word so far is that is too big even for the biggest tinfoil roaster. Add to that, I don't think its going to fit into the oven. So our options are either cut it in half, or try the BBQ out. I know we have enough tinfoil to wrap the sucker.
If you've ever done one, let me know if its worth doing and how long it might take.....

I wouldn't even try to cook it for Christmas cause the preparation and cooking time of a bird that size would be time consuming.

You could definitely have it ready in two days without much trouble. I'd suggest brining the bird for a day first. This will help insure tenderness and moistness of a large bird. Also, is your bbq grill able to maintain a steady heat of say 250 degrees for a long period of time. I always guestimate my cooking time for turkey at around 45 minutes per pound at 225.

Jo's advice is on the money as usual. But if it MUST be Christmas dinner, you could roast it on your grill/smoker. Set it up for indirect heat, you don't have time to smoke it I don't think. If your grill has a thermometer in it, shoot for 325 and cook the turkey til the breast hits 165 and check it in the thigh for doneness, too. I think it's 20 minutes per pound but you can google that to check. Wrap it in foil if the skin starts to brown too much before it's done. It would be more juicy and tasty if it were brined and slow smoked as Jo said. Although at 35 pounds I would expect it to be fat and juicy anyway.

Post a pic of that monster, will ya?

We're doing it for the 27th, so have a few days.

I have no experience with this at all, and its -20 C or colder here right now. Guess we could set the BBQ in Grandma's garage though.

Tell me about this brining.....

You know how when you add salt to something, it gives off its juice? Well that's how brining works. The salt makes the bird give off its juice but then it gets to the point where there is less juice inside the bird than outside and it draws juice back in, bringing with it the flavoring of the brine. The bird needs to be covered in the brine, you'd probably need to do it in a cooler with that monster. I make 2 gallons of brine for the average turkey, you probably need 3 or 4. I leave the bird for 24 hours in the brine. This is for 2 gallons of brine, it should double OK

1 1/2 cups salt
1/2 cup sugar
2 lemons
1 head of garlic, cloves separated, crushed and peeled
herbs-parsley, thyme, sage. Have also used rosemary or oregano with parsley. About a tablespoon of each.
2 gallons water

I heat the water in a big stock pot to help the salt and sugar dissolve. Cut the lemons in half, squeeze the juice and throw the lemons in the brine, too. Add everything in while the water is hot so it can steep. Let it cool before putting over the bird. I put mine in the fridge; yours probably won't fit. You could probably put it outside in a cooler but at 20 below it might freeze solid even with all the salt!
Discard the brine and rinse the bird well before cooking.

Well, he fit in the roaster, minus legs and wings of course. So no BBQ this year. BUT, I'm going to try it sooner or later, searched around a bit on Google, and sounds like a great way to do it to me.

Sorry, no pics, too busy stuffing the sucker. He weighed 40 lbs, 30 with his legs and wings removed.

randiliana":5rukzl9l said:
Well, he fit in the roaster, minus legs and wings of course. So no BBQ this year. BUT, I'm going to try it sooner or later, searched around a bit on Google, and sounds like a great way to do it to me.

Sorry, no pics, too busy stuffing the sucker. He weighed 40 lbs, 30 with his legs and wings removed.

Don't try it - take my word for it. Your cooking was the right thing to do.

If you're not going to take my word for it, use a fruit wood. Go slow on the smoking.

Latest posts