Batwing mowers are top heavy.

Help Support CattleToday:

millstreaminn

Reaction score
Was mowing on the hillside the other night and on my way back to the shop I hit 2 woodchuck holes that were perfectly staggered in the field. I felt the brush hog hit the holes and immediately hit the brakes. Too late. I saw the brush hog flip over in the rear view mirrors. Next time I'll open it up before coming off the hill. The only thing hurt was my pride. :oops:

M-5":7n78z4w3 said:
dang, shouldn't you have been able to let the wings down and it righted itself

I tried that. It was just over center so it didn't work. I didn't fiddle with the hydraulics too much though. It was perched on the edge of the bank and I didn't want it to slide down further and tweek the PTO shaft.

Looks like you had enough equipment to get it right side up. Pretty place to btw.

Brute 23":1x8962q5 said:
What kind of hitch is that? A regular pin hitch would not have allowed it to do that. Were you mowing with one or both of the wings up?

It's pinned to the draw bar with a regular 1 1/8 pin. Just behind that is some type of heavy swivel with a grease zerk on it. I'll bet it would allow the brush hog to swivel 90 degrees from horizontal with no tongue twist.

I was transporting the mower back to the farm with both wings folded up (have to to fit between a telephone pole and its anchor wire). Driving under 5 mph.

millstreaminn":33x66dq1 said:
Brute 23":33x66dq1 said:
What kind of hitch is that? A regular pin hitch would not have allowed it to do that. Were you mowing with one or both of the wings up?

It's pinned to the draw bar with a regular 1 1/8 pin. Just behind that is some type of heavy swivel with a grease zerk on it. I'll bet it would allow the brush hog to swivel 90 degrees from horizontal with no tongue twist.

I was transporting the mower back to the farm with both wings folded up (have to to fit between a telephone pole and its anchor wire). Driving under 5 mph.

Got ya. I could see that. They are top heavy with the wings up.

Im not so sure about that swivel deal on the hitch. Im sure it has its purpose but it wouldn't have done that had that swivel not been there. Guess it might be there so it doesn't try to flip the whole tractor on an incline? :???:

A couple years ago I was hit from behind by a car moving a tractor and a disk. They pushed me down the road and off in to the ditch. It left me pointing in the opposite directing I was traveling. Only thing that saved me from flipping and being crushed was the tractor jack knifed with the disk. The left tractor tire was in the V of the ditch with about a foot of dirt rolled up. The right was in the air up against the front gain of the disk. The pin and hitch was in a bind but wouldn't let the tractor flip. Had the hitch broke it would have flipped.

Latest posts