Battery Powered drills

Help Support CattleToday:

I've owned some good Dewalts in the past and have a Dewalt grinder and it's been bulletproof, but had poor battery life out of Dewalt cordless drills.

yeah yeah--I know--"A poor workman always blames his tools"
I have a Rockwall right now and have been pleased with it so far.

Kinda depends what you're doing with it. For serious, heavy duty work...Dewalt. 18v or higher. Milwaukee makes a slightly better quality tool, but the higher price doesn't usually justify the minor difference. The impact is just about the best invention they've come up with in a while. We only use the drill/screwgun for drilling holes now. They will last 2-3 years with extremely hard use. Batteries will last 2 years if fully charged/fully discharged regularly. I agree about the XRP. Haven't gone thru enough of the Lithium batteries to come to a conclusion on them yet. The lighter weight is nice, especially on the nail gun, and the charge does last longer, but haven't had them long enough to endorse or condemn.

If you don't use them often, it doesn't matter what brand, the battieries won't last. They need to be fully charged and fully discharged often.

If you're talking lighter duty, intermittent work, and don't need to drive a 3" screw, brand doesn't really matter much. Just buy whatever is on sale, and figure on replacing batteries every year.

greybeard":gmr5wnvj said:
I've owned some good Dewalts in the past and have a Dewalt grinder and it's been bulletproof, but had poor battery life out of Dewalt cordless drills.

yeah yeah--I know--"A poor workman always blames his tools"
I have a Rockwall right now and have been pleased with it so far.
In dewalt you need the xrp quality battery's, the cheaper ones don't hold up.

As others have said, go with an impact. I have Craftsman 19.2 regular and 12 lithium. My go to is Milwalkee 18v impact. I wish I didn't have any plain drill drivers as the impact whether 12v or 18v is awesome. Don't have to put your weight into it like a regular drill. Good luck.

CottageFarm":1g8svtlc said:
Sorry Sky, I missed the part about building a deck the first time.
I recommend the Dewalt 18v impact

Definately the Dewalt 18V Impact with the XRP batteries. Its a little beast. You can buy drill bits with the 1/4" hex shank made on the end. No worries with a chuck getting loose.

I dont think you could go wrong with a Makita or Milwaulkee impact either, but Ive never owned either of them. Alway thought of them as top of the line.

I like both Dewalt and Milwaukee, but hands down Snap-on is the best. Their 18 volt drill is amazing and the 18 volt 1/2" impact will blow your mind. Whether it is worth twice the cost is debatable but without a doubt the best on the market.. In my humble opinion.

ohiosteve":1svyw0yd said:
I like both Dewalt and Milwaukee, but hands down Snap-on is the best. Their 18 volt drill is amazing and the 18 volt 1/2" impact will blow your mind. Whether it is worth twice the cost is debatable but without a doubt the best on the market.. In my humble opinion.

Thats what my mechanic uses in my shop is snapon impacts but as you said that cost is a lil bit of a deal breaker.

skyhightree1":1af4unp4 said:
ohiosteve":1af4unp4 said:

Thats what my mechanic uses in my shop is snapon impacts but as you said that cost is a lil bit of a deal breaker.
If you are familiar with tho old company called Sioux Tools, you know they made quality products even back before they were bought out. Now you know who makes Snap-on cordless tools.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/snap-on-cordles ... 253/g.html

ohiosteve":2sd57ctz said:

Yep snap on is the best drill and impact driver. Have a 3/8 cordless and a 1/2 cordless and they both are old. both are used dailey and have never been sorry. May cost you but it is worth it. Look at it this way pay up front or pay in long run.

JHH snap on is what all the tools my mechanic uses in the shop and they are great. Its too late now i already got a new one lol

Latest posts