Basic ?s

Help Support CattleToday:

roneil76

Reaction score
For starters, I realize these Questions are very basic and obtainable through research. But I figured w/ the vast array of knowledge on this site,this may be a good place to start. Please, If you dont want to answer the questions, I understand.

-How long is a pregnancy.

-How may calves can a single cow have in one year.

-If you dont have a bull how much would it tipicly cost to get a cow pregnant. what is the procedure
:oops:
***No real details needed.***
More or less I meen my place or thiers.

-If a cow has 5 acers to graze how much "other" food dose she need. per/ day week month or year or however else you may personaly measure.

Agian if you dont want to answer these question then please dont reply. I realize your time is valuable and would hate for you to waste it telling me to look elswhere for these answers.

Thank you in adavance! :cboy:

roneil76":3esonnon said:
For starters, I realize these Questions are very basic and obtainable through research. But I figured w/ the vast array of knowledge on this site,this may be a good place to start. Please, If you dont want to answer the questions, I understand.

-If you dont have a bull how much would it tipicly cost to get a cow pregnant. what is the procedure

-If a cow has 5 acers to graze how much "other" food dose she need. per/ day week month or year or however else you may personaly measure.

Agian if you dont want to answer these question then please dont reply. I realize your time is valuable and would hate for you to waste it telling me to look elswhere for these answers.

in cattle, gestation is about 285 days ( i always remember 9.5 months.)

1 calf per 12 months is acceptable. (can have twins or triplets etc but not that common)

roneil76":8w61fckl said:

283 days plus or minus a few with some as much as 2 weeks less to 2 weeks more.
Except for multiple births, 1 each 11-12 months
It dpends on how you lan to get the cow bred. Borrow a bull, lease/rent a bull, AI - yourself or an outside technician.
5 acres isn;t enough space to keep a cow very long, a couple of weeks maybe. But therre aain it depends on the type of grass and if you're going to break it into small sections and rotate the cow among the pastures.
A cow typically requires around 2 - 2 1/2% of her body weight in forage per day. If she's dry she can get by with a little less but it's better to feed a lower quality hay. If she's feedign a calf she's going to reequire a higher level of nutrition.

dun

This question is best answered by someone knowledgable in cattle from your area. It will vary from area to area and somebody should really look at it to tell you. Fertilizer and management will also have a huge impact.

I advise finding a good mentor one in your neck of the woods who can assist with questions and help pull a calf if necessary.
Do a search of the past posts on manuals and get the link to a few...well worth the time to search and read.
Sometimes a picture is worth more than can be posted on the boards. DMc

roneil76":1q6o4e5y said:

A little over 9 months, +/- 10 (sometimes more) days either way.

One, unless she has twins.

You could go with AI (Artificial Insemination), leased bulls, or maybe a borrowed/bartered bull. Whether it's your place or theirs depends on who is doing the AI'ing and what they prefer, or if using a leased/borrowed/bartered bull - the stipulations of the contract and how it was negotiated. Can't answer the cost part - sorry. It's been many, many years since we AI'd and the prices are undoubtedly different today. And we've never borrowed/bartered/leased a bull, plus price would probably vary from area to area - even if I had a number to start with. If you decide to go this route, make sure you have good health papers - including Trich so as not to infect your cows with a STD.

That is going to depend on what she's grazing, time of year, local conditions, whether she is pregnant, raising a calf, or dry. Generally speaking, any animal needs 1 - 2% of their bodyweight in feed (grass, hay) to maintain condition. Other factors (such as pregnancy, nursing a calf, type of grass, quality of hay, etc) will require adjustments to that number.

If you don't ask,how will you ever learn?? :) There are NO dumb questions..This is a good place to learn.from very basic to very advanced..Come back,read more,learn lots.enjoy..

roneil76":1i801d96 said:

Last time we had cows AI's it was $30 per cow and that was for the tech and the semen. Prices can vary. The hardest part with AI if you don't do it yourself is getting the technician to come out. Also it requires some kind of facilities to hold the cow while being inseminated.

Leased a bull last year, was 25 a month, and most people get them for 60 days, so he can breed all the cows and to have him there incase the cow doesn't take on the first cycle. Some people want their cows to all calf in a short period of time, like 2 months. The bull owner delivered for an extra $25 each way..Total bill $100.

Looked like your other questions were answered, hope this helps. Donna

You Guys are awsome. Thank you for all the info. one more question.

To fill some of the operational needs I would like to get some used equipment at least to start. would this be recommended or not. and I think I could get allot at the local weekly farmers auction.

roneil76":2sqplscg said:
You Guys are awsome. Thank you for all the info. one more question.

To fill some of the operational needs I would like to get some used equipment at least to start. would this be recommended or not. and I think I could get allot at the local weekly farmers auction.

Whether or not it's recommended depends entirely on whether or not you can afford to do it. I'm not being a smarty pants here, simply stating facts. It's not worth laying awake nights worrying about how you're going to make the payment. We did everything by hand for many, many years when we first started out - fed the cows with those big galvanized tubs that you balance on your hip, built our own feed bunks, built windbreaks with salvaged wood we got cheap from other people, pulled calves with a comealong, improvised corrals, the only extravagance we had was the squeeze chute, and I suspect it was built by the local blacksmith. Most everything we had was home made, because the folks couldn't afford to buy the equipment and feed 4 kids. Figure out what it's going to cost you in the long run, and if you can afford it, go for it. If you can't, learn how to improvise and get it done.

roneil76":2i1x67vf said:

Highly recommended, as long as you know what you're looking at and are willing to be a little less comfortable while ranching. Also its much better if you can do your own repairs. I spent many, many years on a Case 930 as a primary loader tractor and baling tractor and I've cut more acres than I care to remember with an old Versatile 400. I've since moved up in the world, at least so far as haying equipment goes (now have MacDon haybine, good NH baler) but I've never spent more than $6500 on a tractor. I currently have that old 930 (14,000 hrs and still going strong), a Massey 1130 (no idea on hours, hourmeter stopped at 8000), a Massey 1135 (6500 hours), and the family JD4020 (18,000 hours now, but getting a little tired). In the case of the 930, 1130 and 4020, I've spent less than $300/yr repairs and maintenance. The 1135 I've only had a couple years, and I've put $800 worth of parts into it, including a clutch that I haven't had a chance to replace yet. When I've got it split this winter, I plan to take a peak inside the transmission and see what it needs.

Before you buy, check on parts price and availability. Don't buy something used that you can't get parts for or that parts are pricy for.

Rod

Latest posts