Barzona

Help Support CattleToday:

there was a salesman from clanton that used to call on us that owned a few of em. he mentioned they had brahman in them at that time i assumed he new what he was talkin bout. it would be a hard sell to convince folks here that a africander aint brahman any way i should have said just bos indicus and been done with it. but i did read were they use gerts at one time ;-)

I got a little lost in all the discussion there about Bos Indicus. Our Barzona cattle, hand fed ground ear corn and rolled corn grade above average at Omaha Pack. (last year 16% prime) 1100-1200# carcass weights, yield anywhere from 61-64% (i think 63% is the goal for live weight sales) and DNA test with Igenity higher in RFI than any other breed in their system. Also note- financially you can lose up to 3% ADG and still break even if your Feed efficiency goes up 1%. **Univ. Illinois I believe** You cant control your price, but you can control your inputs.

:welcome:
That is huge carcass weights. Were you discounted for over 1000#?? They used to discount if over 650# - then 900# - not sure where the discount is now.
Feed efficiency can vary tremendously by what you feed, but it is also governed by the individual animal's ability to convert food. Seems like it used to be 6:1 ratio for "average". Haven't seen reports on that for long time.
Sounds like you are doing a great job getting them to Grade.

Sorry, i mistyped.... 1100-1200# live weights..... Hanging weights run 650-750+. Gonna have to proof read my comments!

Latest posts