Barzona

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Had a friend who is a feedlot customer rep/buyer spend the night last night.

While we were getting towards the end of a bottle of "Knob Creek", he was telling me about a Barzona breeder in who had been feeding quite a few of these cattle and selling them on the Excel grid.

Anyway, these cattle are being harvested at 1100 lbs in 14 months, averaging 70% choice, with nearly 100% yield grade 2 & 3's.

I asked my buddy to repeat this story during coffee this morning because I thought it might have been a dream. :lol:

Those are smokin' hot stats!

I think I need to swing by, it sounds like you are always having fun :eek: :D

Those are good stats, except it doesn't sound like they gained very good.

I guess I'm not overly impressed with those numbers.
At 14 months old, I look for 1300-1400# Choice YG 2, that's what I expect/hope for all our steers.
Mike, you raise good, large cattle. What was so impressive about these numbers? 70% choice should be a normal range if fed properly, shouldn't it? and at 2 or 3 YG, they SHOULD grade.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":qykxgpat said:
OK, so you were impressed by the performance of the BREED. Gottcha! I see the light :D
I'm not very familiar with them.
But, actually, aren't MOST popular breeds medium frame now?
yep. but most don't have the brahamn influance like the barzona thats why i was impressed by both the grade and the gain. barzona aint that popular yet infact i had forgot about them ;-)

ALACOWMAN":3dcureck said:
but most don't have the brahamn influance like the barzona thats why i was impressed by both the grade and the gain. barzona aint that popular yet infact i had forgot about them ;-)

Neither do Barzona. Africander, Hereford, Shorthorn and Angus in equal parts. Not all Bos Indicus are Brahman.

dun

dun":1wmc0c2v said:
ALACOWMAN":1wmc0c2v said:
but most don't have the brahamn influance like the barzona thats why i was impressed by both the grade and the gain. barzona aint that popular yet infact i had forgot about them ;-)

Neither do Barzona. Africander, Hereford, Shorthorn and Angus in equal parts. Not all Bos Indicus are Brahman.

dun
how did they sneak that gert in there with out some brahman in it... theres brahman blood in em

All the Barzona cows I have seen (not in big numbers though) don't weigh over 900 lbs. They were frail looking, with fine bones.

Thses calves were preconditioned for 30 days after weaning and only spent 90-100 days in the feedlot.

ALACOWMAN":26kto99g said:
from what i been reading i cant find where the afrikaner doesnt have any brahman blood or at least half brahman

Brahmna are a composit breed made up of several Bos indicus breeds of cattle. The Afrikander is also Bos indicus, but Brahman.
I'm still trying to figure out how the Gert got entered into the picture in another post.
I'm pretty sure that Afrikawnders are from one area and the breeds that made up Bramans are from another. Equating them is like saying a Hereford is the same as Shorthorn.

dun

Afrikaner do NOT have Brahman blood. They are their own Landrace breed from Africa.

Brahman are themselves about a 5- 8 breed composite developed here in the Western Hemisphere.

Badlands

well ive looked at a few different sites and it looks a one point they used gert to infuse shorthorn and brahman. if there wrong dont blame me ;-)

ALACOWMAN":22q0i3u4 said:
well ive looked at a few different sites and it looks a one point they used gert to infuse shorthorn and brahman.

What site says Brahman. Bos indicus yes, in the form of Afrikander. Also, breeding any Bos indicus to a SHorthorn doesn;t make a gert.

dun

dun":1391beop said:
ALACOWMAN":1391beop said:
well ive looked at a few different sites and it looks a one point they used gert to infuse shorthorn and brahman.

What site says Brahman. Bos indicus yes, in the form of Afrikander. Also, breeding any Bos indicus to a SHorthorn doesn;t make a gert.

dun
im just tellin what i read dun dam dont take it personal but dont try and make me look like im starting anything he!! i dont care one way or other why does it bother you that they may have a little brahman anyway.

We have a pretty thorough history of the breed here where I work as they donated a small bunch of cows here a number of years back.

LOL, they didn't adapt too well for disposition, or these Northeasterners didn't know how to handle them, I don't know which. They just kept them in the corrals for the lifetime of the cows. :lol:

One of the Engineering Buildings on campus here was named Bard Hall, since Bard's made the donation to build it. I guess one of the family graduated from here back in the 30's or 40's. I guess what I am saying is that I will take the written word of folks over what I see on a website.

Now, with that said, I suppose it is possible that after the Bard family formed the breed and a National registry was created that other breeders were allowed to put Santa Gertrudis into the breed. I wouldn't know about that. But nothing I've ever read about the early history of the breed suggested that had happened.

Badlands

Latest posts