barns

Help Support CattleToday:

spoon

Reaction score
I'm gonna have to get a barn up over the winter or early spring so I can start my new adventure in hobby farming so I need some advice. Our old one that burned down was a dual purpose barn, cattle/tobacco. We no longer have tobacco so all I need is a cattle barn. I kinda know what I want but I was curious what size most stalls are? Seems like what ones I've been in were pretty much the same size but I not a real good judge of dimensions. Also any other helpful hints you've seen or come up with on your own wouild be appreciated. I'm sure when it's done I'll wish I had done something different but I'd like to avoid all of that I can. Pics would be good as well if you have any you'd like to share. ;-)

spoon":2avc1lc9 said:
I'm gonna have to get a barn up over the winter or early spring so I can start my new adventure in hobby farming so I need some advice. Our old one that burned down was a dual purpose barn, cattle/tobacco. We no longer have tobacco so all I need is a cattle barn. I kinda know what I want but I was curious what size most stalls are? Seems like what ones I've been in were pretty much the same size but I not a real good judge of dimensions. Also any other helpful hints you've seen or come up with on your own wouild be appreciated. I'm sure when it's done I'll wish I had done something different but I'd like to avoid all of that I can. Pics would be good as well if you have any you'd like to share. ;-)

What will you use the stalls for? Are you going to milk the cows?

Maybe on occasion but mainly just to keep up a cow that may need doctoring or watching when near birth time. And whatever else it is you do in one. :D Also will prolly get the grandson a pony along the way.

12'X12' or 10'X12' is decent to keep a cow and calf penned for a few days for doctoring.

I'd recommend you figure out a way to be flexible and use corral panels to make the stalls so you can open it up and use it for something else like hay storage, and so you can get in easily and scoop the manure.

We have a barn that was built back in 1949(?).
The stalls are about 10'x10' each one has a gate on three sides and there are 4 stalls. In front of the stalls is a large alley way that runs the length of the barn. That is where we put the first year heifers that are calving. After they have the calf then we put them in a pen. We try to NEVER calve in a pen, too much of a chance for something to go wrong and you can't reach the calf.
We also have a head catch between the last two stalls with a squeeze panel for pulling calves or doctoring cows. We just squeeze the cow between the two panels.
There is a hayloft above with holes cut just the right size to drop down square bales of hay or straw.

Thanks! Good suggestions that I will keep in mind. Y'all mentioned a couple of things that hadn't occured to me but that is to be expected. And why I asked. Thanks again for the help.

I would suggest using trusses for the roof so that you won't need posts on the inside, makes for much easier cleaning, storage, and you can still set up panels to configure the stalls wherever you want them and if you change your mind it is a whole lot easier to modify.

If I ever have to build another barn I'll be sure to spend more time designing. I would space the posts so that cattle pannels or commercial gates can be used as stall dividers and to re-configure the stalls as needed. Lay the water lines to selected areas and be darrn sure the grade is true and drainage is good.
Just my two bits worth...Dmc

Cabo..I might just go with attic trusses. That gives me a place for hay. The wife just happens to be a part owner of a truss factory with her dad and brother so I can get a deal on them. ;-)
VanC..Thanks for the link!! I'll look those over for more helpful hints after work tomorrow.
Susie David..Thanks for thinking out loud. I'd rather learn from someone elses mistakes than my own. I do that enough! Thanks again to everyone.

Latest posts