Bareback Riding: The Pros And Cons

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cattle Girl

Reaction score
Ok. So, whoo hoo, I really felt like going riding yesterday. So I grabbed a hackamore out of the shed and tossed it on my 4 y/o, me being too lazy to throw a saddle on. Jumped on her and went riding out in the back country for about 2 hours. Needless to say, I'm soar. But it was SO fun. Feels so much different when you don't have tons of leather underneath you.

So, how often do you guys go bareback riding? What do you guys like and dislike about it?

I never ride bareback, unless there is a lake then my horse and I go for a swim. :D

I just don't care to ride bareback.....

Riding bareback will really help your ridings skills I learned to lope and run a horse bareback before I used a saddle, its great for balance. The bad thing about bareback is the hair, dirt and sweat covered pants after you get off. :lol:

J&T Farm":t5qj28pe said:
Riding bareback will really help your ridings skills I learned to lope and run a horse bareback before I used a saddle, its great for balance. The bad thing about bareback is the hair, dirt and sweat covered pants after you get off. :lol:

I agree it get nasty... quick.

We throw a halter on and go if we just want to look at some thing real quick or are too lazy to saddle them up.

I used to love it, but since I am older and stiffer it isn't so much fun. My children ride bareback frequently.

FYI: Any shanked bit is a curb even if it has a broken mouthpiece. It is a broken mouth curb. The shanks make it a leverage bit.

On a snaffle bit, the mouthpiece and reins are all on the same ring - like an o-ring snaffle.

Here's an interesting article by Mark Rashid about Tom Thumb bits. I don't like them at all and after reading the article I realized why.

http://www.todayshorse.com/Articles/TroublewithTomThumb.htm

Wow. OK, I'm throwing my Tom Thumb out. I used to use it to ride on the light days when I would take the horses out for just a trail ride or something but now I'm just sticking to my twisted snaffle.

Never knew that bit could cause such confusion for a horse - now I feel bad for my 4 y/o.

Thanks for sharing that chippie. :D

I agree Bareback is great for practicing balance and learning how to stay on better. I do it every now and then used to all the time, its just alot easier to throw a briddle on and go. I am a big fan of Clinton Anderson (dont know if anyone knows him) but hes one of the best horse trainers I have ever seen. He said he recommends riding bareback at least 20mins a week just because if you can stay on bareback then that means you are "one" with your horse. Your not leaning one way and your horse leaning another. It helps the rider and the horse.

learned how to ride bareback , the only way to really learn , in my younger years fancied myself as kind of indian boy , had an arab i could ride with no bridle and would just grab mane and fling myself up. got so good at it one day i flung myself right over the top of him and ended up on the ground , on my butt , looking up at Rocky. Took a quick look around to see if any of my neighbors had seen this wonderful feat ! cheers !

sorry chippie....i just threw a brief description. and i don't train or do much with the horse....just hop on and let her go where she wants to.... thanx for the article about Tom Thumb bits...didn't realise all the 'problems' they create for a young horse.

Up until I was about 15-16 I rode most of the time bareback. I really didn't have my own saddle then so I just rode bareback. After that when I started participating in competitive events I rode a saddle and have ever since.

for the most part i only use a saddle for competitions in which they are required. the only thing i really like one for is roping. barrels, poles, cutting, and anything else i use my horse for at home i usually just throw on a halter or hackamore and am on my way

Latest posts