barb wire fencing

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
Whats the best type of corner posts to use when building a barb wire fence, steel or wood? Sizes also?

Gail

In our soil (laugh here) unless I'm hanging a swinging gate I use a flating brace on corners or ends. I use 6-8 inch usauly cedar that I've cut here.

Caustic Burno":1qoddtrg said:
nothing worse than a POS H brace to pull against.

They do purty good in the North GA clay.

Caustic Burno":re3z552l said:
I use old telephone poles cut to length, nothing worse than a POS H brace to pull against. Also I on't like redoing them.

I've heard telephone poles tend to rot on the inside. Do you put something over the top to keep the rain from getting in it? I saw some the other day that had old pie tins nailed over the top.

Cuz

I use old telephone poles as well. The ones here in Texas are soaked and pressure treated with kreosole (I think that's the chemical) Those things last for a long, long time. I wouldn't use anything less than 6". I made that mistake. The first string of wire was fine, but every time I added a string, the wood actually started to bend. That was a nightmare. I agree with Caustic, I hate redoing them. Fortunately, I learned my lesson on the first one.

GMN":3fqia6ae said:
Whats the best type of corner posts to use when building a barb wire fence, steel or wood? Sizes also?

Gail

We generally used rail-road ties.

When useing old telephone poles we always try and use the bottom portion. That part of the pole is usually the heavyest and largest. Most of the time the part that was in the ground is still in like new condition. Maybe that is because all that creosote runs to the bottom, or the dirt protects it from evaporation. I do not like to use concrete arount the post as I beleive it only turns into a bucket of water for the post to set in. We use a conpactable sand that will dry out with the surrounding dirt. Compaction of the soil around the post is the most important part. I would also advise you to go as deep as possable. That will add more weight and stablity to the corner.

That fence will never be any better than the corners you build.

When stretching wire I alternate from top to bottom and stretch the center strand last.

I use steel. I used wood until I was burned out. With the grass fires around here being so common, steel is it.

backhoeboogie":13621n6m said:
I use steel. I used wood until I was burned out. With the grass fires around here being so common, steel is it.

We did some researching and think we will put steel corner posts in. Someone told us that the govt. put regulations on what the wood posts are treated with and they do not hold up anymore, and really the steel ones are about $5 more a post, so well worth it. What sze steel ones do you use? Do you sink them in concrete, and use a brace metal pole inbetween the corner posts, diaganally?

Thanks

Gail

GMN":pwdpxqze said:
backhoeboogie":pwdpxqze said:

We did some researching and think we will put steel corner posts in. Someone told us that the govt. put regulations on what the wood posts are treated with and they do not hold up anymore, and really the steel ones are about $5 more a post, so well worth it. What sze steel ones do you use? Do you sink them in concrete, and use a brace metal pole inbetween the corner posts, diaganally?

Thanks

Gail

3 inch pipe, 3 3/8" outside diameter, seems to have enough tensil strength for my corners and braces. I try to get the holes atleast 36 inches deep and fill them with limestone chunks and then pour soupy concrete to fill the hole and shake it through the limestone.

There are times I find 4 inch pipe at auctions and such.

I have used 2 inch pipe for the rungs between the posts on H braces since it is mostly serving a compression load.

When I build pens, chutes, and fancy entries, I use 3 or 4 inch tube steel (square tube) and fill it entirely with concrete after I am done welding it out, for permanently set posts.

Most of my pen frames are portable so they have top, bottom and mid rails with sheep panels (5 foot tall) welded to them. I use 3 inch tube steel that is about 12 gauge for them and pin them together.

I am not so much anti-wood posts for folks in wet climates. We simply have so many fires around here. I have abundant cedar and could use it but don't simply because I was burned completely out in '90.

I use wood posts cause I usually can get them free or for .50 cents a foot brand new miscut telelphone poles. Prefer the creosote poles but I'm not that picky if the price is right.

I have been using railway bridge timbers last while.( overkill I know but they were cheap) put them in the ground 4 feet.Been thinking about using steel though.I hav,nt because all the new fence I build is hi-tensile electric.

Latest posts