Banding Question

Help Support CattleToday:

KrystaM

Reaction score
OK we have two 1.5 month old bull calves that still have their balls. What is the preferred and cheapest method to remove them? I purchased a bander and bands but am concerned about their ages.

Cheapest is a knife, easiest is the bander. As long as the bander is big enough to fit. We band calves that age all the time with no problems, and no tetanaus shots either.

Count 2 before you release the band, then count 2 again afterwards. If you count less then 2 after the band is applied, cut the band and start over.

Do the types of bands differ with age?
Also, not sure what I am looking for after I release the band. What should or should not happen before I get to 2?

The green cheerio band will work and at that age I use two bands on the calf.
But do exactly as dun said ,,,COUNT TO TWO>>>>

Here is a good link..
http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:TJG ... k&cd=3&gl=

At that age you will need two people and is best to get them properly when they are standing so you might need a shute. Careful as well because they like to pull them up when you start "messing" with them ,but then again knowing what you are about to do what male wouldn't do that. ;-)

If you really are unsure get an experienced neighbor or friend to show you or get your vet involved..Nothing p'ss off a calf buyer more than a screwed up banding job..

Good luck and don't get kicked too much.. :lol:

Good point about 2 people being needed. One to tail one to band. If you don;t have a chute, a gate or panel that you can crowd and restrain them behind works well too.

KrystaM":1xmt2kox said:
Do the types of bands differ with age?
Also, not sure what I am looking for after I release the band. What should or should not happen before I get to 2?

Open the bander, with a band on it and latch the handles so that the band is held open. Slip it up over the scrotum. Manipulate the nuts down below the band, one patoto, 2 potato, release the band. Insure that neither nut is being squeezed in the band

What Dun said but you might find it easier to open the band and just reach thru it and pull the bag down thru it. then you can get above the band and work the nuts down one at a time. We did some 3 month old bull calves that way last Sat and it worked great. Also as has been said on here before don't put the band up tight against the abdomen as you could end up with a hole in it. The other thing you definately need to do is give them a Tetanus shot when you band them.

Latest posts