Banding Question

Help Support CattleToday:

onthehoof

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

We are fairly new to having cattle, although we have had a few in the past. But, they were not bull calves. We got two last week, they are three months old. Is this too old to band? Thank you

There are banders made for banding older calves. I think Callicrate is one of them but not sure of the spelling

dun

I really don't think a cherrio bander would be big enough.

Wait another month and use the callicrate. Here, the co-op will rent it to you.

Or find someone who knows what they are doing and have them cut him. Just stay on top of the flies.
We just sold a 5 month old bull calf to a 4-Her, delivered and cut. He will be shown next saturday and will be just fine.

I've banded them up to four months old with a regular bander. I just use two bands to make sure they do the job. I haven't had any problem when I do it this way.

Bobg

Thanks so much everyone. We are thinking there will need to be a few of us, (there are two bull calves to band). I also know someone who is very good with a lariat - thankfully - as they have not been handled and are quite full of themselves.

Bobg":2rzc7ytx said:
I've banded them up to four months old with a regular bander. I just use two bands to make sure they do the job. I haven't had any problem when I do it this way.

Bobg

Yep not a problem just use two bands like Bobg said!

certherfbeef":flhsjq0b said:
I really don't think a cherrio bander would be big enough.

Wait another month and use the callicrate. Here, the co-op will rent it to you.

Or find someone who knows what they are doing and have them cut him. Just stay on top of the flies.
We just sold a 5 month old bull calf to a 4-Her, delivered and cut. He will be shown next saturday and will be just fine.

We just banded 2 that were 6 months old with the little green bands (granted they were small). So what I would say is that it depends on the size of the calf. But, I would be pretty sure that a regular bander would work on a 3 month old calf.

The cherrio bands are recommended for calves weighing up to 150 pounds. If they are reaching this or are over that weight I'd go a different route.

onthehoof":3ic0r87c said:
Thanks so much everyone. We are thinking there will need to be a few of us, (there are two bull calves to band). I also know someone who is very good with a lariat - thankfully - as they have not been handled and are quite full of themselves.

If you are going to band these older bull calves, I would give them a tetnus shot ahead of time or at least when banded.

rross":1r9eh5tm said:
onthehoof":1r9eh5tm said:

If you are going to band these older bull calves, I would give them a tetnus shot ahead of time or at least when banded.

:nod:, absolutely

Alice

Two-in-hand...relaese-the-band.

Be sure to have a pair of dikes on hand...just in case one slips
out of position and you need to start over.

Definately agree with using two bands and leave some sack.
Just my two bits worth....DMc

I use a big bander called EZE Bander I've done calves up to 8 months old without problems. when banding calves with a bander that uses a metal clip on the band always give a tetnus shot.

Latest posts