Banding q

Help Support CattleToday:

Santas and Duhram Reds

Reaction score
Okay, so I started banding this year. I banded a few calves earlier this year that I knew would not make bull status. I am getting ready to cull a few more bulls. When I worked my calves last I vaccinated and my vaccine included tetanus which is supposed to be given with banding. Am I safe to band these calves without a tetanus vaccine again? I vaccinated about 2 months ago. I would think I would be fine but just wanted to put this out there.

I wouldnt do the tetanus shot again. For years, I have not given a tetanus at banding, and have only had one incident of infection and that was my problem because I banded too high on the little guy.

Santas and Duhram Reds":3n87l40v said:
Okay, so I started banding this year. I banded a few calves earlier this year that I knew would not make bull status. I am getting ready to cull a few more bulls. When I worked my calves last I vaccinated and my vaccine included tetanus which is supposed to be given with banding. Am I safe to band these calves without a tetanus vaccine again? I vaccinated about 2 months ago. I would think I would be fine but just wanted to put this out there.

Did you vaccinate once or twice? If only once, you need to give a tetanus toxoid at banding. If twice, you should be good to go. I believe I would run this past my vet just to be sure, though.

Latest posts