banding and tetanous

Help Support CattleToday:

i have never banded my calves.. i always cut them, but at an earlier age than 500#... i have a couple that i was considering keeping for bulls, but have changed my mind. how far above the testicles do you place the band?

jt

jt":360wtty5 said:
how far above the testicles do you place the band?

About halfway between the top of the testicles and the top of the scrotum. In other words, at the place that will squeeze down the smallest, since the idea is to cut off all circulation.

Craig-TX

Craig-TX":3qvfri37 said:
jt":3qvfri37 said:
how far above the testicles do you place the band?

About halfway between the top of the testicles and the top of the scrotum. In other words, at the place that will squeeze down the smallest, since the idea is to cut off all circulation.

Craig-TX

thanks

TXBobcat":xkh2nmel said:
jt":xkh2nmel said:
i have a 500 pounder i want to band. do you think the tri bander will do it? or would you recommend me doing something different?

thanks

jt

It might, and then again it might not. What I mean, is it all depends on the size of the sac/testicles. If you can't get them through the band, you may have to use the bigger calicrate bander. For calves that are just about too big for the tri-bander, I have had to work one testicle at a time through the band to get the job done.

I did the same with the cheerios bands & was most pleased with my accomplishment (working down 1 testicle at time). A couple of days later the sacks had grown to the size of huge grapefruit or pregnant softballs - calves seemed most distressed. I ran them back thru the chute after observing them for another day without seeing any improvement. Rebanded all with the surgical tubing system & crimped metal clamp - swelling went away in a few days. Just a note of caution - maybe things would have been ok had I done nothing, but I hated the way they looked (made me feel the pain). I now only use the cheerio band if both balls can fit thru together, otherwise it's the surgical tubing bander.

Scotty":2d5sby3m said:
TXBobcat":2d5sby3m said:
jt":2d5sby3m said:
what is a tri bander?

jt

I got my tri-bander from Valley Vet.

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=22f467ec-4bd8-4d5b-acc0-8c21f071795d

Use the same one. I always give the calves a shot. Never have had tetnus befor. But then again I have never had black leg or have not had a history of it in my farm. Give the shot anyway. Better safe than sorry. Give the shot!!!

Scotty

scotty, txbobcat... i ordered one of these banders and got it in today.. man those are some big, thick bands compared to the little cheerio bands... ouch!

this thing says it is one hand control... i guess it is not hard to get the band off when you want it to come off.. this is a new experience for me.

jt

No, not too hard. Have someone hold the tail straight forward helps with the kicking. I tie the legs if I am by myself.

Scotty

Scotty":3mw589aq said:
No, not too hard. Have someone hold the tail straight forward helps with the kicking. I tie the legs if I am by myself.

Scotty

yep i always try to have a tail holder :lol: especially on a calf that size... those little dudes could hurt a body. i will try it for the first time in a couple of weeks.

thanks

jt

Latest posts