banding a bull calf

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbilly1234

Reaction score
i have a highlander bull calf that i banded, but don't think i did it right? he is a year old now and is intrested in the cows when they come in heat do you think he can breed them?

hillbilly1234":22ue7r8p said:
i have a highlander bull calf that i banded, but don't think i did it right? he is a year old now and is intrested in the cows when they come in heat do you think he can breed them?
Does he try to breed them?

We have steers that bull on cows that are in heat.

Is the nut sac still there or did it fall off?
As long as you got the band above the nuts and both were there, there should be no problem.

Sometimes,when banding these bulls a testicle is pushed up,so instead of a steer you have a one nuted stag. He feels like a bull because of this and maybe even breed a cow but never settle them because the testicle is in the body cavity where it is to warm. Thats why we as buyers of feeder steers dislike bands. If put on right they are fine but too many people get in a hurry or careless. They are quite a problem to castrate after a poor banding job. So we cut everything with a knife and don't have to worry if they trully are steers. This said a lot of late cut steers will ride cows and know of some AI people use a steer to help in heet detection.

I band at birth and have never had a problem.

I once had a case where I could not get both of them. One was up in the stomach cavity and would not come down. I had to cut - and cut and cut. The crowd there watching me acused me of field dressing the poor thing. I finally got er done

always count two when the band is released. carry some cutters to cut the band and do it again. some steers will ride and find open cows, when we have pulled the bulls that is how we find open cows before preg check time. cows are the same way some will ride and follow one around and some never pay attention.

Latest posts