Band or cut?

Help Support CattleToday:

Z&J Cattle

Reaction score
I know that this topic has been hit on here before, but I can't find it. I want to steer my bull calves as soon as possible after they are born and would like to hear the pros and cons of cutting and banding. One of my buddies says that he thinks on very small calves, banding will be less stressful, but I just don't know. Let me know what ya'll think. Thanks,

Zach

Z&J Cattle":3v4s0en7 said:
I know that this topic has been hit on here before, but I can't find it. I want to steer my bull calves as soon as possible after they are born and would like to hear the pros and cons of cutting and banding. One of my buddies says that he thinks on very small calves, banding will be less stressful, but I just don't know. Let me know what ya'll think. Thanks,

Zach
I prefer the Knife, especially this time of year, with the absence of Flys.

I prefer the banding. Less stressful on the calf. You have to make sure that you get both nuts as they tend to pull one up when you are messing with them. Keep this in mind also, a neighbor of mine a few years ago banded a steer and changed his mind about 45 minutes later, pulled the band off and the calf died soon after. Blood clot I suppose. He never did that again.

I band the commercials. Just remember to count to two. Meaning get both. Don't short scrotum them. some are going to tell you you don't need to give a tetnus. Bull butter. Give one. It does not cost that much and it will be worth it.

Scotty

Mine get banded within 24hrs of birth. They are also weighed, given an A and D shot and get a tag. They seem to be bothered more about getting tagged than they do getting banded.

Katherine

It's a matter of personal preference. For years we knife-castrated, now we band simply because it's easier and some years the cows are in a dry-lot situation. Banding produces less bleeding, and less chance of infection if you are in a dry-lot situation. If you're castrated/banded calves are released onto pasture I can't see that much difference.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":3or0qs23 said:
I band them as soon as I see them when born. No hassle unless momma catches ya. :shock:

That could be a major hassle, huh? :eek:

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":3jbh1nzn said:
Just gotta be faster than that ole cow. :lol:

I've noticed that the older I get, the harder that is! :shock: Heaven help you if the knees give out while climbing a fence!

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2nhxbpr5 said:
I know the feeling. The older I get the better I was. :cboy:

:lol2: :lol2: I have to laugh, because it's that or cry and crying stuffs my nose up so I try real hard to avoid it!

My vote is castrate with a knife (scaple) at birth. Just did one last week. Never slowed him down. No slooowww method here. Feed two to the dogs & you know you got a steer or if we castrate later on, we eat them. But, two in the hand & there is no doubt.

i band mine within a few days and i like it better less mess,stress on me and the calf.always count two. i walk them through the pen and put mom out i am not as fast as i use to be.

Here we go again. So will say banding is less stessful, some will say cutting is.

Many people will also tell you not to band in the south during hot weather - it may lead to blood poisoning.

We used to band, but we had several problems. Now we use a knife. We've also been told that many buyers at sale barns will not buy a steer whose been banded because they've been burned too many times by stags. So, it's just another reason to use a knife.

:D we too band within 24 hours of birth. Never had a problem.
Last week i sold a crossbred steer to a feedlot and he was about 500 lbs. They cut him and he was found dead the next
morning :shock: There was no blood , so i am not sure what
he succombed from??? They paid me before they cut him, so
I still got my $500.00 :eek: I felt bad, I had worked really hard to keep my calves in top shape until sold. Oh well, ____ happens! :roll:

We band within two weeks, usually sooner, some times we want to see what the calf will look like if he had been bred for bull potential, the ones destined for production are banded as soon as they are up and sound. We use the four fingered bander with the green cheerios; two in hand and leave lots of scrotum. Never had a problem. DMc

I want to thank everyone who responded. The response has been about what I expected (half & half). So, I guess it is just truly personal preference and developing your own opinions and what works for each individual operation. After reading the posts and talking to some different folks, I have decided that knife cutting is the way that I want to go (for now at least). This afternoon I cut my first calf (with experienced supervision of course) and it went very smoothly. I have seen it done several times, just never actually been the one doing the cutting. It was a piece of cake! As someone said before, keeping the momma away is by far the biggest challenge (and definitely the most exciting part of the whole process). This particular momma is a red brangus, so most as you can imagine it was a little tense for a few seconds even with her on the other side of the fence!

it seems the biggest advantage to banding is you can do it during the calving season, when they are tagged and vaccinated, and easy to catch. with bigger herds I like knife cutting, the calves are roped or throwed and held down seperate from mama so safety is an issue and it is a blast to throw and work calves... throwback from a time gone by.... neighbors and friends get together to help and spend a few hours working calves and the rest of the day visitting and possibly drinking adult beverages..... and maybe frying nuts

also in bigger herds,in the heat of the moment, some bull calves are missed. get help you can trust and a good knife man, and cutting will work the best. If you are a one person show, band them when they hit the ground and as was said, make sure there are 2 in hand when ya release the band, if a few of your calves look staggy at sale time you will be hit in the pocketbook.and get a bad rep in the cattlebuying circle (vultures) Whatever you do do it right!

Latest posts