Band or cut?

Help Support CattleToday:

eatbeef":1dhsv8rq said:
I like knife cutting, the calves are roped or throwed and held down seperate from mama so safety is an issue and it is a blast to throw and work calves... throwback from a time gone by.... neighbors and friends get together to help and spend a few hours working calves and the rest of the day visitting and possibly drinking adult beverages..... and maybe frying nuts

I'm thinking you are probably late teens or early 20's going by this statement.

We knife every commercial calf at branding time a few weeks after they are born. Then we wait with the registered calves until weaning time. We wait to see which ones will make bulls or won't. Then we band them as they are older and tend to bleed alot more. We also cull and band around 10 months old before they are cataloged.

MSScaMP AND CYPRESS, I am afraid I don't get it. I think maybe an insult? I'm not sure. Didn't mean to offend anyone, also I am in myn forties neighbors getting together working calves has been an ongoing tradition for generations. I don't know how to type and my puncuation isn't the best, oh well! have a good day

holly heifer":35yag5ws said:
:D we too band within 24 hours of birth. Never had a problem.
Last week i sold a crossbred steer to a feedlot and he was about 500 lbs. They cut him and he was found dead the next
morning :shock: There was no blood , so i am not sure what
he succombed from??? They paid me before they cut him, so
I still got my $500.00 :eek: I felt bad, I had worked really hard to keep my calves in top shape until sold. Oh well, ____ happens! :roll:

Is it just me? How do you cut a steer?

I prefer to knife cut. But, to each his own. The way I see it, it's done a lot faster then banding and you know for certain that you've got them both. For all you guys out there - I'm just a girl and I can throw and cut a month old calf by myself. It's not as hard as some people are making it out to be :roll:

:lol2: HA HA you know what I meant-- the calf was to be sold as a steer ( was a bull before the mishap) :p

holly heifer":2r5hqet4 said:
:lol2: HA HA you know what I meant-- the calf was to be sold as a steer ( was a bull before the mishap) :p

Shucks, I thought maybe it was like the calves that were born steers that somebody had a while back

dun

Holly - what is this about vet bills and cutting a calf? I could show you in about 2 minutes how to save on vet bills. Wish you were closer :D

:eek: I wish so ,too! I do my own vaccinating, antibiotics,ect.
I have tube fed tons of calves( one for a week before he
developed a sucking reflex and was able to nurse the cow--
that I had to milk by hand to keep the milk coming! :roll:
I do the banding, just never had anyone show me how to cut
one. :eek:

Holly, here's a pretty basic diagram of castration with a knife/scalpel.

castration.jpg

Take care.

Do you really cut the bottom all the way off or a slit that runs the whole width along the bottom? Any shots needed at the time to fight infection? Do you spray any thing on the cut?

jwtexas":26dg7hlq said:
Do you really cut the bottom all the way off or a slit that runs the whole width along the bottom? Any shots needed at the time to fight infection? Do you spray any thing on the cut?
Cut 'em all the way off. Stretch 'em over your shifter knobs so girls won't want to drive your stuff. I won't name names, but the ones that it don't bother (Sid, Cert, txag, Annie, et al.) are okay to drive your stuff, anyway.

Spray what's left with iodine.

Texan":39coni2x said:
Cut 'em all the way off. Stretch 'em over your shifter knobs so girls won't want to drive your stuff. I won't name names, but the ones that it don't bother (Sid, Cert, txag, Annie, et al.) are okay to drive your stuff, anyway.
Ha Ha Ha Ha. Good one Texan. That's the truth. Those gals and a few others on here are real cowgirls, and better cowgirls than probaly 95% of the men on here are cowboys.

la4angus":r8xwo9y8 said:
Those gals and a few others on here are real cowgirls, and better cowgirls than probaly 95% of the men on here are cowboys.
That's right, LA. If I had stock to work or management decisions to make, I wouldn't trade one of those ladies for a gooseneck load of TennCattleMan57's. Or even a potload.

Texan":2ajuj0lz said:
la4angus":2ajuj0lz said:
Those gals and a few others on here are real cowgirls, and better cowgirls than probaly 95% of the men on here are cowboys.
That's right, LA. If I had stock to work or management decisions to make, I wouldn't trade one of those ladies for a gooseneck load of TennCattleMan57's. Or even a potload.
Texan I'm with you on that. They are the greatest. I love'em all.

Latest posts