Band and feed or sell at auction?

Help Support CattleToday:

BILL CLAYLAND

Reaction score
Hi Ya'll.

I Have a 11 month Baldie Bull, I cant band with my bander now, but I have a friend or can call vet.

I personally don't need beef now and am curios on his prospects of table fare.
I was planning on selling freezer beef.

Maybe I'd be better just taking him to the barn.
prices aren't great here, our barn burnt down and there is a buying service ,(1 buyer taking everything.)

Either way I need to do this this week.

Thoughts,, I waited too long I believe.

If you don't need the meat, I'd just haul him as is. One less thing to worry with.

fitz

I see you are in Miller, MD. Do you have a way to haul him?

I'm in Lancaster PA and would be interested depending upon what you want for him...

Let me know.

Thanks

fitz":2kx1dmzy said:
If you don't need the meat, I'd just haul him as is. One less thing to worry with.

fitz

Yessir. Quicker and easier. Down here there's not much difference $ on or off.
But if he's the only buyer, he can make it hurt.

If you want to sell freezer beef do you want to make him bigger? Otherwise he'll eat just fine the way he is.
I also wouldn't be scared to cut him, which way do you think will bring the most?

I don't know about your market but here a 11 month old bull would get beat up pretty good on the price. Anything above 500 pounds there is a 20 cent difference or more and it gets to be more the bigger they get. And at 11 months he should be way above 500 pounds.

Thanks for replies, I have a fella that hauls for me VERY reasonable.
I will find out what the buyer should pay, but my gut is telling me 90-100 cwt.
he's around 900lb

I had two herf steers fed out last winter.only was able to sell one for freezer beef and had to sell 2nd one at said auction.

Latest posts