Baling Small Square

Help Support CattleToday:

Baled some more hay Tuesday night and have figured that with the last cutting on our field that we will have enough s.s. for the horses for the winter. I can't wait unitl our son is old enough to help his "old man" on the rack. It gets old fast when you have to throw those tippy top bales up there and then shimmy up on top to place them and then get back down before the next bale comes off of the tray. My wife doesn't stop either when I fall behind, but I wouldn't want her to. "Make hay while the sun shines." She runs everything in the front of the baler and I run everything in the back.

I remember the thrill of the prospect of getting rich with some friends back in the early 60's....One older friend got a contract to collect hay...sweet deal for a young fella. Me another friend, the older guy and his girlfriend went to seek our fortunes in the hay fileds of centeral Arizona.
We were paid 25 cents a bale to collect the hay...three wire small square, about 120 lbs...and stack it in the barn.
The hay barn seemed to be forty feet high and tha size of a football field and man did we stack it tight and straight, the rancher made sure of that.
The cold hard fact of life came home when we split expenses for fuel, food and beer....didn't realize that the truck got a full share of the split. Still was good money with no place to spend it so we ended the season with a few $$ in our jeans.
Oh yeah...used hooks too...only way to sling it up to the catch man on the truck.
Just remembering the days when I wore a smaller belt and a bigger buckle.
Now the hardest part of putting up hay is hauling out the wallet and pulling out the green backs.
Just my two bits worth..asked for or not. DMc