Baling Small Square

Help Support CattleToday:

ArrowHBrand":1tx6qvl2 said:
Honestly baling hay isn't something fun like clowns at birthday parties, but I don't mind doing it. It's good hard honest work and when you are finished it's nice to see the loft full of fresh green hay. My wife and I put up 200 bales yesterday and when we were finished, stinking of sweat, grease on her cheek, dirt and grass covering our arms and faces, we were both smiling...but dead tired!

You would mind doing it if you were in my position, putting up 5,000 bales in one day (only five people working). I got lucky that my hands didn't start bleeding like my older brother's did.

FarmGirl10":vlg47dj9 said:
ArrowHBrand":vlg47dj9 said:
Honestly baling hay isn't something fun like clowns at birthday parties, but I don't mind doing it. It's good hard honest work and when you are finished it's nice to see the loft full of fresh green hay. My wife and I put up 200 bales yesterday and when we were finished, stinking of sweat, grease on her cheek, dirt and grass covering our arms and faces, we were both smiling...but dead tired!

You would mind doing it if you were in my position, putting up 5,000 bales in one day (only five people working). I got lucky that my hands didn't start bleeding like my older brother's did.
Holy cow that is putting up hay. We will bale between 10000 - 15000 small squares a year. Love my hoelscher accumulator and 348 baler. :D :D

S&S Farms":3pyddkee said:
Bez>":3pyddkee said:
BrianL":3pyddkee said:
:shock: Now I would like to see that...

A Bale Band-it? One of the locals here sells them - expensive but great equipment if you sell a lot of small squares.

http://www.balebandit.com/

Bez>

Any idea on price????

Jeff
I inquired about it........are you ready? :eek: :shock: :shock:

Brace Yourself..... :shock:

The cost is approximately $56,000 US FOB at Pittsfield , IL

How many are you getting? :shock:

VZCR":3drrxfsq said:
S&S Farms":3drrxfsq said:
Bez>":3drrxfsq said:
BrianL":3drrxfsq said:

A Bale Band-it? One of the locals here sells them - expensive but great equipment if you sell a lot of small squares.

Bez>

Any idea on price????

Jeff

I only need one........ :(

Here's one in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgZkWEZUUCs

VZCR":349rin9l said:
S&S Farms":349rin9l said:
Bez>":349rin9l said:
BrianL":349rin9l said:

Bez>

Any idea on price????

Jeff

Holy #$%%^ , not this year

Angus/Brangus":3108ba79 said:
dun":3108ba79 said:
In my younger days I didn;t mind and even sort of enjoyed bucking bales. Those were 120 - 160 lb 3 wire bales of alfalfa and I used hooks. Now I hate messing with even the light 50 - 60 lb bales of grass. I decided that I won;t mess with small squares anymore, nothing but round bales and let the tractor do the work.

dun

I watched some balers the other day doing small squares. No one ever touched a bale. The square baler had a device on back that kept the bales together ( an accumulator?) until it was full. It then raised up leaving the bales pushed nicely together in a big square, on the ground. The baler continued on to bale and fill up the device again. Another tractor would come with a similar device (mounted on front of the tractor) and pick up the large grouping of bales (10 bales maybe) and place them neatly on a trailer. I've heard they take them off the trailer and stack them in a barn with the same type of equipment! There were just these two people working a 100 acre tract of hay - incredible.

I guess I share the same comments as Dun. On another post I stated I started working hay when pretty young and learned quickly that I did not like to handle square bales. And although I still have a square baler (of sorts) it sits under a shed and is not used.

Perhaps if all the square bale handling equipment was available 50 years ago maybe I would have a different opinion. Maybe all that hard work is what kept my Dad alive for so long because even at 80 YO he could work circles around me - daylight to dark.

I still don't do square bales unless someone wants to pay me $10/bale and pick them up as they come out of the baler.

S&S Farms":4dk9i68m said:
Holy #$%%^ , not this year

:D Me neither.....

The reason I square bale is someone gave me three balers and said I could probably make one out of 'em. I did, and for all you old timers I now have the baler equivalent to the ol Johnny Cash Caddilac (....1964...1965....1966.....).

Works pretty good except the winter bugs happen for a couple of bales everytime I start movin.

Someday when I start making money at this, I'll get me one of those rollers

I remember the days... Get a bunch of kids ..... Popcicles, Icecream sandwiches and good cold water oh and don't forget the square bales.
We do round bales but I got a crazy hair to do a few hundred small square bales this year. I'm having a ball. I don't know about everyone else.. But it brought back the memories !!!

Yeah those days of gathering the neighbors and baling hay are fading fast. My in-laws have all but stopped small squares because they can't get the help since all of their daughters have started their own families. My wife and I do enough s.s. to keep us busy, but not overwhelmed. However, we will have to start getting help if we keep on our planned path. Round bales are nice to feed the cattle, but we don't feed them to the horses. We really keep track of how much the horses are fed. We aren't technical about it, i.e. weighing hay rations, figuring body weights, etc. but we don't want them to free feed hay all winter and come out in the spring so overweight that we have to get them back into condition before riding.

ArrowHBrand":36uwzp6u said:
Yeah those days of gathering the neighbors and baling hay are fading fast. My in-laws have all but stopped small squares because they can't get the help since all of their daughters have started their own families. My wife and I do enough s.s. to keep us busy, but not overwhelmed. However, we will have to start getting help if we keep on our planned path. Round bales are nice to feed the cattle, but we don't feed them to the horses. We really keep track of how much the horses are fed. We aren't technical about it, i.e. weighing hay rations, figuring body weights, etc. but we don't want them to free feed hay all winter and come out in the spring so overweight that we have to get them back into condition before riding.
Yep, and our horses always wasted so much hay, we ended up feeding it by hand anyway, so back to small squares for them. :lol:

Even feeding the cows round bales we try to get out into the lot every other night or so and pitch the loose hay they've pulled off back into the feeder. It kind of makes a guy mad when a cow pulls off two or three mouth fulls, but only ends up eating one and then relieves herself on half of it and then lays down on the other half. As you may have noticed, wasting hay is a big pet peeve of mine. A lot of time and work goes into haying.

ArrowHBrand":3oingcbf said:
Even feeding the cows round bales we try to get out into the lot every other night or so and pitch the loose hay they've pulled off back into the feeder. It kind of makes a guy mad when a cow pulls off two or three mouth fulls, but only ends up eating one and then relieves herself on half of it and then lays down on the other half. As you may have noticed, wasting hay is a big pet peeve of mine. A lot of time and work goes into haying.
I'm with you on that, for sure....ungrateful hussies. :mad: I sold the cows a few years ago, and am still trying to get even with them for all the pain and misery they delt me. In rememberance of them I eat a rib eye or T-Bone every chance I get. HA! :lol: :lol:

S&S Farms":2z2eolve said:
Bez>":2z2eolve said:
BrianL":2z2eolve said:

Bez>

Any idea on price????

Jeff

Sorry - did not realize you were after me - I did not pay much attention to this thread.

If you ever respond and do not get an asnswer from me - send a pm - often I pop in on a thread and nevr visit it again.

Local gossip is - he asking in the range of $10 - 15K depending on options. Out of my league. Never even ventured a look after hearing this.

Regards

Bez>

Bez>":2vsf27gb said:
S&S Farms":2vsf27gb said:
Bez>":2vsf27gb said:
BrianL":2vsf27gb said:

Bez>

Any idea on price????

Jeff

Sorry - did not realize you were after me - I did not pay much attention to this thread.

If you ever respond and do not get an asnswer from me - send a pm - often I pop in on a thread and nevr visit it again.

Local gossip is - he asking in the range of $10 - 15K depending on options. Out of my league. Never even ventured a look after hearing this.

Regards

Bez>
Wow, that's quite a gap from the info they sent me. I inquired about it and was quoted a much larger price. They only have one model, and the used ones I've seen advertised are running about $10 to 15K less than a new one, asking price. :shock:

VZCR":1jmg5z22 said:
Bez>":1jmg5z22 said:
S&S Farms":1jmg5z22 said:
Bez>":1jmg5z22 said:
BrianL":1jmg5z22 said:

Bez>

Any idea on price????

Jeff

Regards

Bez>
Wow, that's quite a gap from the info they sent me. I inquired about it and was quoted a much larger price. They only have one model, and the used ones I've seen advertised are running about $10 to 15K less than a new one, asking price. :shock:

Well, who is to say gossip is on the mark? I suppose I could go kick some tires some day - but there is no way in heck I would be interested in spending that kind of money on an operation like that anyways.

Bez>

Bez>":1mos3gcp said:
VZCR":1mos3gcp said:
S&S Farms":1mos3gcp said:
BrianL":1mos3gcp said:

Bez>

Any idea on price????

Jeff

Regards

Bez>

Well, who is to say gossip is on the mark? I suppose I could go kick some tires some day - but there is no way in heck I would be interested in spending that kind of money on an operation like that anyways.

Bez>

Better take some medicine for STICKER SHOCK triple dose before you go over there. :shock: :shock: :shock:

VZCR":3ms2blfr said:
Bez>":3ms2blfr said:
VZCR":3ms2blfr said:
S&S Farms":3ms2blfr said:
BrianL":3ms2blfr said:

Bez>

Any idea on price????

Jeff

Regards

Bez>

Bez>

Better take some medicine for STICKER SHOCK triple dose before you go over there. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Your comments have persuaded me that it is definitely out of my market - and I will have to do some snooping of my own someday.

Bez>

Latest posts