Bales - how to cut

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
We use a sharp pocket knife. Or, a retractible "box cutter" knife. Couple of swipes at most get the twine.

If bales with wire ties, just use a pair of dikes (side-cutter), wire-cutter pliers (not the regular pliers). Or, electrician's wire cutter pliers.

I have been using on of those new folding type knives that use a razor blade. Most have a clip so you can attach to the top of your hip pocket. No need to sharpen just replace. Only about $10 so if you lay it on top a bale and forget about it, it ain't no big loss.

For small squares I use my pocketknife. For rounds I use a kitchen shears like owuld be used to cut up a chicken

Angus/Brangus":3fxigkc6 said:
What do ya'll use to cut the twine/net wrap on your square/round bales? I've tried the TSC twine cutter and it's not great-seems kinda dull. And also used a knife blade that buckled over backwords on me. Getting ready to sharpen my Dad's old Case and use it. What do ya'll use that works best?

We use pocket knives, but the plastic twine plays hell with keeping a sharp blade. Be prepared to sharpen your blade often! ;-)

Angus/Brangus":3o3paj2a said:
What do ya'll use to cut the twine/net wrap on your square/round bales? I've tried the TSC twine cutter and it's not great-seems kinda dull. And also used a knife blade that buckled over backwords on me. Getting ready to sharpen my Dad's old Case and use it. What do ya'll use that works best?

for twine i use a pocket knife. for net wrap i use no knife --just unroll it.

For twine round bales I use a pocket knife that is half straight edge and half serrated..... helps keep from having to sharpen the knife. And the serrations work great.

I use a Benchmade switchblade. This way I don't need two hands to open or close the knife. I like it and it will hold an edge well. I also don't have any trouble operating it with gloves on like a do my Case.

We usually use a pocket knife, but does anyone use a tag cutter. Seems like it would work real well.

I use one of those glass scrapers with the retractible razor blade. Pretty easy to handle with gloves or cold hands.

Angus/Brangus":2hcov9cd said:
Getting ready to sharpen my Dad's old Case and use it.

That would be my choice. Keep it razor sharp and in your pocket at all times. If a knife is too big, it is uncomfortable. That Case is likely just perfect for the pocket. It'll hold an edge all day long too.

went to feed last year, and forgot a knife to cut twine with, so i went and got a steak knife out of the trailer, and used it, worked real well, stuck it in the tool box on the tractor, i cut the twine, stab the bale, and pull the twine off grab the knife, drop it in the box, get another bale....and so on....not so high techie or cool, but works good.

I use Kleins Cable Splicer's Kit. The kit includes cable-splicer's knife, electrician's scissors, and 2-pocket leather pouch. I don't buy these but keep a set on my belt when working.(part of my off farm job) Never seen scissors as though as these thing are. Use them to cut copper wire almost daily and they stay sharp. I'm pretty sure I cut more hay twine with them than cable splices. :lol: I do have to sharpen the knife from time to time. It works just as good on twine as 250-MCM too. :) The scissors work great when the twine is pulled down tight in the hay and can be harder to cut with the knife.

I use my new birthday knife...but keep a hoof trimmer in the barn for the sons....they haven't lost it yet and it easily cuts any twine.
This isn't a hoof trimming knife...we're talking the angle head, long handled, easily sharpened manually operated model that we use on the stock.
DMc

Latest posts