Baler requirements

Help Support CattleToday:

scheff

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm researching baler requirements and thought I'd get some expert opinions here as well. I'd like to add a baler to the farm, nothing special or that will be heavily used (maybe 40 acres or so twice a year).
With a JD 5075 tractor, HP rated 57 (43)@2100 PTO... is that sufficient to operate a decent baler and recommendations on what I should be looking for?
Thanks as always.

Don't have the rake or mower yet either, but from what I've seen there are plenty of options that would work for the mentioned tractor. Guess I'm just concerned more about the baler and if that tractor would be sufficient.

There are some 4x5 balers that you could pull. Might pull hard on some hill ground but there are 4x5 balers rated for the 45 hp range.

Most all of the brands have a 4x4 model baler that your tractor would be able to handle without issues. I'm not sure which brands you like, but If you're looking at a 4x5, a Vermeer Super I or Rebel would probably work if you don't have hilly ground. I think those have a minimum HP requirement around 45, which is right about where your tractor is.

I would get a 4x5, you can always bale a little smaller if you need to. If looking at used, sprocket wear, gearbox, general condition is usually a good indicator, belts are expensive.

Latest posts