Baler brand?

Help Support CattleToday:

I think Vermeer balers are pretty good ballers. They were the first to bild a round baler.

Im partial to the NH crop cutter balers for baleage. Weather you use the knives or not the the rotor feeder eats the heavy damp sticky material with ease.

Im partial to the NH crop cutter balers for baleage. Weather you use the knives or not the the rotor feeder eats the heavy damp sticky material with ease.
I demoed a specialty crop RB560 this year without the crop cutter... it was okay I guess. With the pressure cranked and baling beside the Vermeer 605N the NH could not put as much crop in the bale. I don't like the scrawny little pickup teeth on the NH either, this one already had bent teeth and it only had a few hundred bales on it. I did like the heavy chains though. I do not like the whole pickup to stuffer to bale chamber concept on the NH though.
Talked to a neighbour who bought a Specialty Crop 560 because he was making silage this summer and he already wanted to get rid of it. Said it was always plugging up (apparently they are awful to unplug with the long pickup delivery to bale chamber) and was looking at getting rid of it. The Vermeer will plug when starting a bale if you are coming into a swath crooked and the pickup needs to suck the swath around the end of the pickup but that's it.... I'm trying to talk myself into a NH because the dealer is close and really good to me but as yet can't talk myself into it..

Only time I'm plugged this crop cutter is in the corners of the pickup when turning or crossing a windrow. I will put my bales up against any baler as far as density and material in a bale. 4k bales in and not a bent pickup tooth (pickup bands are bent up so im currently replacing with poly).

Crop cutter has no stuffer which I hated on my previous NH. The rotor will just eat whatever is in front of it. I've put a completely new operator in the seat gave them 2 minutes of instruction over the phone and had then popping out perfect bales in 6 dry ton per acre hay but baling at 50% moisture. There is no easing into a windrow every its just zero to full speed ahead.

Only downside is the rotor takes some power to run.

Other positive if you go to a crop cutter in a RollBelt series NH is the drop floor so if you were to plug it up just drop the floor and empty the slug out and be on your way.

I have a Kuhn baler that has baled about 6000 rolls so far. These balers are not as well known but are one of the best out there for high moisture hay. I do custom wrapping and have seen what most balers will do. For dry hay Vermeer,NH and JD are all good machines but give more problems with wet hay. Their "silage" models are just slightly beefed up dry balers. Kuhn, McHale, Claas are all silage balers with heavier components throughout.

I put up baleage and dry hay with a standard JD 468. I'm sure there are better options, but it works for my operation.

Moisture content and construction of the windrow I would say are the key variables for putting up baleage. I've had the best luck with baleage in the 35-45% moisture range. Being able to form a consistently dense windrow is very helpful for both baler performance and wrapping ease.

Latest posts