Baler question

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
New Holland 660 owners manual calls for 95 hp PTO.
What would be the pitfalls of running this baler on a tractor with rated 75 ho at the PTO.
Would be for light duty personal use.

Thanks

Also when the baler is full it would really push the tractor around on the hills just the baler probably weighs more than a 75 pto. hp. tractor. might work on flat ground just be much slower.

I regularly pull my 5'X6' 535 John Deere with a 77hp Ford 6640.
Do I run 6 or 7 mph in a full width windrow? No.
Can I roll up enough hay to feed my cow herd? Yes.
I run a half width windrow at 5 to 5.4 mph and it eats it up.If I run a full width windrow,I drop back a gear.It might pull it anyway but I'm not wanting to tear up what's working.

The pitfalls would be run your tractor in a slow gear, go down hills instead up and make sure the hay is bone dry. What would help is make the bales 5x5 instead of 5x6, and also get your tractor Injection pump re-calibrated up 10%.

My vote goes to making a smaller bale, that last foot is where the hp is really needed, especially if you have to stop for some reason or go up a grade.

snoopdog said:
My vote goes to making a smaller bale, that last foot is where the hp is really needed, especially if you have to stop for some reason or go up a grade.

You are so right.
It's not apples to apples I was running a smaller baler.
I had a Heston 745 it was a strain on the 50 hp tractor making a 4x5 versus a 4x4. The 60 hp tractors never checked up no matter the grass or grade.
The 50 hp tractor got to rake.

My take on OEM specs is that equipment is built for world-wide usage, under any set of conditions, by ANY operator with VASTLY varying experience. I take that into consideration when looking to make a purchase.....yet to be wrong!

Case in point, somewhere I saw a picture of A Korean farmer and his Branson (built by Kukje in S. Korea) tractor.....easy to see why they are sold with rice grip F1s and Branson imports them without tires and wheels and get regular F1s from Titan Tire Co for installation here. The tractor was up to it's running boards in muddy slush and going about it's business. I don't treat my Bransons like that.

Latest posts