Bale Grazing Style - Winter

Help Support CattleToday:

tntblaster11

Reaction score
I've been reading about bale grazing techniques for the winter, but cannot come up with a good answer to my question. One URL I've read is http://beefmagazine.com/nutrition/0901- ... themselves this one. Now, laying out the round bales in a checker board patter and being able to distribute nutrients across pastures that need it (rehabbing and renovating a lot of them next year) is a good thing imo. However so far I can't find much information about using high moisture baleage instead of dry hay that I'm seeing in the photos and articles I've come across. Is anyone doing this?

Baleage set out in Mid Dec (here in MD) *should* be at or below 40 most of the time, so I *THINK* spoilage would be at a minimum. I'm thinking about setting up a months supply (or w/e the pasture can handle) in advance. Feeding 100 or so head like this is a lot of bales so I'm not sure how many I can put out on a 25ac pasture at a time. I can then set up my temporary fence and move it as needed for the cattle to have access to a fresh set of bales. Water isn't an issue as I have permanent drinkers in most pastures. So set them up closer to water, then move them back each day, trampling the older baleage back in....

I'm sure it would work. I'm a fan of unrolling hay myself simply because more cattle have access to a roll.
You may want to sow the spots where the hay sits if you have a lot of trampling.

With dry hay you can place them so that cows have room to stand around each bale, so fairly close.

I would think that you will get a lot of loss with high moisture baleage, if you leave it unwrapped. If your bales are individually wrapped, then you could fight unwrapping them each day.

Yea I'm wondering if I place them out in mid december when day temps are below 50F... typically lower 40's.. and nights are at freezing.. would they spoil THAT fast? I'm thinking about placing enough for a anywhere from 7-14 days... Its all just an idea.. I'll probably experiment with putting just a few days at a time out.. and if it goes bad quickly.. then quit the whole idea.

We used to have dry hay but had 2 barns burn down in the past 2 years... so still gotta get barns up.. so all we have now is baleage.

The last several years I have been bale grazing with dry hay, using polywire to control the access. This year I broke down and bought an individual bale wrapper because I was so tired of not being able to get the hay dry. It has been one of the best investments I have made. My plan for this winter is to wait to set out the bales until the temp drops, probably sometime in late November or December. I am just going to cut the plastic off of one of the flat sides and stand them up on end. That way they will be protected from the snow and ice, while not having to worry about the plastic being stuck underneath the bale. I think we may have less waste than with dry hay, because the top will still be protected from any rain we may get. I am not too worried about losing too much to spoilage, mostly because it will be cold, but also because it seems like baleage doesn't heat up nearly as fast as chopped haylage. Even in the heat of summer, I was shocked how cool the baleage we were feeding stayed. I think it may have something to do with how tight the bales are made, and how little air can actually penetrate the bale. I will be a lot smarter in a few months, but I think it will work.

Thanks for the reply. Thats exactly how I was thinking about placing mine.. up on end w/ the plastic still on and just go out and pull it off as I need...

I'll frost seed after I get towards the end of each pasture and let the cattle trample in the seed, probably clover and a perennial rye or fescue...

toughntender":d85sm7ft said:
The last several years I have been bale grazing with dry hay, using polywire to control the access. This year I broke down and bought an individual bale wrapper because I was so tired of not being able to get the hay dry. It has been one of the best investments I have made.

What make and model?

I bought a Tubeline TL1000r. It's a 3 point model. I got it because it can do 4 or 5 foot wide bales, whereas most others only do 4 footers. I've put over 500 bales through it and it works great. It has made making hay somewhat enjoyable again.

I currently putting one bale on end with another another bale set on top. I have been considering wrapping the bales not to mention I could bale the hay a little earlier with less leaf loss. My concerns has been the cost. Very few people in my area do round bales...big square bales are king especially if sold to a dairy or feedlot since they will only except square. Of the handful of rancher/farmers doing round bales (in my area), no one is wrapping...other than net wrap. Can those of you that do silage wrap tell me the cost associated (wrapping material, cost of machine, labor, etc)? I am also curious as to how hard it to cut off the plastic film after a freezing rain/snow. I know net wrap alone can be a real pain after a hard freeze (snow/rain) so I am thinking the extra wrap would be even harder.

As for feeding, I have a round bale unroller so feeding is pretty easy. Yes unrolling the bales probably results in more loss than using bale feeders or other methods, but it gives me the opportunity to lay eyes on the cow/calves everyday. If i see a higher than usual hay loss/waste I cut back on the number of bales fed which usually results in to the majority of the hay being cleaned up.

C-Ranch":2skjk92f said:
I currently putting one bale on end with another another bale set on top. I have been considering wrapping the bales not to mention I could bale the hay a little earlier with less leaf loss. My concerns has been the cost. Very few people in my area do round bales...big square bales are king especially if sold to a dairy or feedlot since they will only except square. Of the handful of rancher/farmers doing round bales (in my area), no one is wrapping...other than net wrap. Can those of you that do silage wrap tell me the cost associated (wrapping material, cost of machine, labor, etc)? I am also curious as to how hard it to cut off the plastic film after a freezing rain/snow. I know net wrap alone can be a real pain after a hard freeze (snow/rain) so I am thinking the extra wrap would be even harder.

As for feeding, I have a round bale unroller so feeding is pretty easy. Yes unrolling the bales probably results in more loss than using bale feeders or other methods, but it gives me the opportunity to lay eyes on the cow/calves everyday. If i see a higher than usual hay loss/waste I cut back on the number of bales fed which usually results in to the majority of the hay being cleaned up.

Cutting the silage wrap off after snow is easy, after ice is not so easy, but way better than fighting frozen net wrap.

I generally don't have a problem w/ the net wrap, even in icey conditions. Wrapping individual bales.. roll of wrap is about $85 I get 16-19 bales out of one if I remember. Wrapper prices vary... I can wrap about 20 bales an hour (after hauling out of field to lay down area) individually.

I've been debating about moving to an inline however...

Stocker Steve":2sj5dqe0 said:
I plan to sell my corn planter and start wrapping balage. Will any of these handle a 5x6 wet bale?
I've been thinking of putting everything into alfalfa also, except for 25-40 acres of silage corn. And like you have been planning on getting a wrapper. I would think a 5x6 wet bale would be very, very heavy. From what I've read a 4x4 bale will be around 1200 lbs, I would think a 5x6 would be pushing 3000 lbs.

Are you thinking individual wrapper or in-line? I think the speed of an inline will sway me that direction.

From what I have seen online, an in-line wrapper would be more expensive, but would save time by being able to do a line of bales versus individual bales. I would think wrapping bales in the field and then having to move and stack them would only lead to the possibility of puncturing the wrap. I'm new to the whole wrap thing so maybe I'm wrong....Wife says I usually am :lol:

Most guys around here have 4x5 balers, and cut the bales off at 50-52" or so. Gives about a 1400lb bale.

Single wrapper is easier to resell bales, as you can take them one by one rather then opening a string of them. Inline is faster and can be done with one guy. (my older single needs an operator to run it and one guy loading and stacking bales) Singles can be stacked in a smaller area, tubes take ground space. Inline uses less plastic.

Have been making baleage for over 20 yrs, any specific questions, ask away.

ChrisB":2nc5j5gf said:
Are you thinking individual wrapper or in-line? I think the speed of an inline will sway me that direction.

I think grazing a full/warm season cover crop will be more cost effective than corn silage. Run the numbers.

We can sometimes rent an inline wrapper in this area. If I cut real early I could miss the June rush while leveling off the spring flush.

tntblaster11":2wu5pv42 said:
Now, laying out the round bales in a checker board patter and being able to distribute nutrients across pastures that need it (rehabbing and renovating a lot of them next year) is a good thing imo. However so far I can't find much information about using high moisture baleage instead of dry hay that I'm seeing in the photos and articles I've come across. Is anyone doing this?

I had a tube of RC custom wrapped. I would cut out enough bales to fill my wagon and then set them out. This meant I had to move bales every 2 or 3 days. Not ideal in poor weather. Needed MFWD at times.

Stocker Steve":2gghehaf said:
ChrisB":2gghehaf said:

I think grazing a full/warm season cover crop will be more cost effective than corn silage. Run the numbers.

We can sometimes rent an inline wrapper in this area. If I cut real early I could miss the June rush while leveling off the spring flush.
The best part of corn silage for me is that I can get half of my winter feed on 1/4-1/3 acre per cow.

Latest posts