Balancer calf.

Help Support CattleToday:

southernultrablack

Reaction score
I had posted pics of this calf a few months ago, and one of the critiques was that he was pinched in his heart girth. He's now almost 11 months and I'm curious what y'all think of him now? Would you still consider him pinched?

southernultrablack said:
It's interesting to me how they change with a bit of age. I don't normally hold onto my calves this long so this is a learning experience for me.

They definitely change with age. I have 7 Cowboy Cut calves. One of the heifers looks like a runt. But that cow's calf always starts out slow and the calf does much better later.

Mine start out slow also, heifers we retain seem small but always end up weighing right and come together by the time we put bulls on. You bull looks good. We have a black balancer bull we raised and he is totally different today vs a year ago. Congrats on your bull.

Hey thanks for the compliments on the calf. If y'all have any critiques let me have them, just be specific! He's getting about 1.5-2% of Bodyweight of a 12% beef grower and that is broken up into two feedings and free choice grass hay. Would y'all change feed any closer to sale time?

Depends on your sale. Does the buyer tend to purchase proper conditioned bulls or fat butterballs??
IMO - you want to shoot for a BCS of 6 to 6.5
You can easily feed 3% of their body weight, but I would think 2% should be good. He appears to be gaining well. Do you know what he weighs?

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Depends on your sale. Does the buyer tend to purchase proper conditioned bulls or fat butterballs??
IMO - you want to shoot for a BCS of 6 to 6.5
You can easily feed 3% of their body weight, but I would think 2% should be good. He appears to be gaining well. Do you know what he weighs?
Jeanne, he's about 1100 pounds now. I really don't want my bulls to be so overconditioned that I have to worry about fat in the wrong places. I would like them to have enough condition that they have a bit of eye appeal though.

Latest posts