Bad wheel

Help Support CattleToday:

Picture time.

cow311hoof205.JPG

That's from the cow I have that had a really, really bad case of footrot last Dec ('04). The picture was taken a good 2-3 months after the inital appearance of footrot. A front view would have been a little better, but this is all I have. You can see there was still swelling over the hoof, and a small opening where it's draining above the hoof. It was also draining below, between the claws. She showed up with footrot around the beginning part of December, I brought her to my place around the end of December, and it took until May before that cow was really sound. She started with soft tissue swelling and it later turned into an abcess inside the hoof as well. Just kind of spiraled out of control, and since she wasn't using the leg at all, there was limited blood supply to carry the antibiotic to the infected hoof and so it took a long, long time to get that infection eliminated. I'm still -over a year later- having to watch her closely and keep that hoof trimmed on a regular basis.

Why don't you feel the LA200 was working? what dosage did you give?

Oxytetracycline is a broad spectram antibiotic, so I'd be inclined to treat with that several times before I went to something that is limited such as penicillin.

Now, penicillin and oxytet are not compatible, so I'm not sure what to say right now.

It could well be a sprain - or not. I had someone look at a cow not long ago that I knew had footrot, and they gave me their opinion - "looks like she sprained it" - and I just nodded non-commitally, and then treated her with antibiotic. Cleared it right up. But then I did give her a really, really high dose.

And - food for thought - if there's an infection and it's draining, IMO it's not a sprain. There I think you'd see swelling, and inflammation, but not an infection. So my guess is a severe case of footrot.

I gave a little over the label recomendation for LA 200. There just didn't seem to be any improvement in a week. I may have been too impatient. I am really confused about what to do now for treatment. I need to give another shot today, but of what? LA 200 or pen 48?

If you been working on her ten days and have now found the infection and lanced it just keep up what you were treating with, the la 200. I would not switch to pen now. The two do not mix well. And maybe some sulfa pills in combo with the la 200 would help. Don't get discouraged just keep it clean and dry and keep treating. It will clear up.

bif

Thanks Bif, and thanks everyone for all the help. I have got to lock in on a treatment and stay with it.

Latest posts