Bad way to start the morning. Graphic picture

Help Support CattleToday:

Looks like she was stuck in depression when calved is what usually happens when they prolapse and then bloat just need to tube her and get vet to fix prolapse and she should be right,had some like that here over years one heifer and an older cow both are still in herd and doing good always looks worse than it is most die from hypothermia or blood loss if uterus ruptures usually from being stepped on if they get up. Sorry for the loss it is especially bad hit with the prices now.

Always sorry when someone loose's anything, but it is part of being in the business. One thing I did notice that she was black and being a Hereford breeder was always told that black cows wont prolapse! Run into a mess years ago on a bunch of heifers in the feedlot and did'nt get them aborted so about fat time they started to calve, we had a long interesting time with them and did sew probably 35--40% all black and was mostly full uterine's . Just marked that expierence up to way to long on feed and forgot about it. A vet freind told me last fall that a lot of problems came with the continentals. True or False???

It doesn't matter what breed the cow is, it happened in all breeds. Any cow that is prolapsed, she is off to the sale barn, no buts!

Beef man,
Uterine prolapse can occur in ANY breed or crossbred cow.
The 'prolapse' you are referring to is a vaginal/cervical prolapse - which was - and may still be - common in some lines of Hereford cattle (also in Shorthorns and Brahman-influenced breeds containing Hereford or Shorthorn). Saw plenty of 'em, back in the 1980s in Hereford, Beefmaster, and Santa Gertrudis cattle. Breeders have worked long and hard to eliminate that trait by culling and breeding away from it - hope they've been successful.
That said, the very first vaginal prolapse I ever saw was in a black, polled, Brahman-influenced cow.

we had one uterine prolapse in a hereford, and TONS of vaginal prolapses in hereford crosses, and we have a couple mostly shorthorn that have it too... I think once I cull these last 3 animals we should *finally* be through it... I found you can't breed it out of a line of cows.. we had one line in particular and no matter what the prolapses would show up again and again.. we've just about gotten rid of that line now, and it's too bad because they were really good milkers too.

Latest posts