Bad way to start the morning. Graphic picture

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit

Reaction score
2014-01-30_08-02-04_4_zpsc9d69edf.jpg
Went and checked on the heifers and this is what I found. We checked her last night at 10. I figured that we were going to have troubles. She was a reg. Angus heifer out of the Erica bloodlines. I shot her and she's at the meat room now. I am wondering if I should grind her or can I cut some steaks off of her? I would much rather by my beef.

Hook I am getting this picture posting stuff figured out finally. I think maybe my phone was froze it was only 23 when I took the picture. I am worried about the adrenalin in her blood stream. We're going to hang her for 2 weeks before I try eating anything. No the calf came right out, but so did the rest of her insides. Last night she was eating cubes out of my hand. It stinks been 5-6 years since we had any real calving troubles. Around 30 years ago, I bought a nice young Char bull and put on my Angus cows, and lost 9 out of 15 cows, and all but 2 calves. But it just a matter of time before something goes wrong in the cow business.

highgrit":1f8vk3f5 said:
Hook I am getting this picture posting stuff figured out finally. I think maybe my phone was froze it was only 23 when I took the picture. I am worried about the adrenalin in her blood stream. We're going to hang her for 2 weeks before I try eating anything. No the calf came right out, but so did the rest of her insides. Last night she was eating cubes out of my hand. It stinks been 5-6 years since we had any real calving troubles. Around 30 years ago, I bought a nice young Char bull and put on my Angus cows, and lost 9 out of 15 cows, and all but 2 calves. But it just a matter of time before something goes wrong in the cow business.

What you will get is a lot of lactic acid in her system. The adrenelin is long gone.

I am sorry to here that. I doubt her steaks will be any good if she had to go through that during the last few hours of life.

It's your cow to do with as you wish, but I'd have put that uterus back in; sure wouldn't have shot her.
Uterine prolapse is an 'accident'; most I've replaced have bred back and delivered subsequent calves with no issue.

Sorry for the loss, hope you can salvage some meat. We had a cow do this last year, we caught it in time and were able to get the vet a put the uterus back in. We cleaned it up as good as we could before he got here, and got it back in and he sewed her up. She survived, but when we weaned her calf we sold her, didn't want to risk it happening again. Sometimes they will bleed out inside and nothing can be done though.
Jenna

Why did you shoot her? Cattle can heal from that pretty easily, the vet just cleans it up and shoves it back in, then sew her up until she heals. Most cows breed back and can have a calf without any problems. Was the calf outside of her, or did you pull it away? She looks like you found her dead, the way her feet are extended...

She was still alive and the calf was laying there dead. She was bloated up, that's why her feet were out like that. And her eyes were rolled back in her head. Figured I had lost enough money already, and our odds were less than 50 percent for survival. And if she did survived she was headed for the sale barn. The worst part was she had papers. And I still have a real fancy Blackbird Angus heifer left to calve. Maybe I better take some pictures of her tomorrow to see what y'all think.

Fire Sweep Ranch":o6gos2vq said:
Why did you shoot her? Cattle can heal from that pretty easily, the vet just cleans it up and shoves it back in, then sew her up until she heals. Most cows breed back and can have a calf without any problems.
:shock: :secret: :secret:

Bad news all around. I get nervous seeing this. I think I will put in an OB clinic at the farm. I already have butterflies with my Star Baby due with her first calf on 3/31, Duchess due on 3/24 and Blaze due on 3/26. All heifers. I will be a nervous wreck.

We had a few sights similar to that when we bought our herd of cows.. we had a miserable time calving out the first year... I know it's no fun!

One of the heifers we had bought (I think they were all about 1000 lb max) had tried to have a 125 lb calf... we ate her for years!, that's how tough her meat was. I'd say maybe the best cuts of meat you could get away with steak, put the rest in stew and burger meat

Latest posts