Bad Doer

Help Support CattleToday:

Sugar Creek

Reaction score
I had a bull calf born in January that looked really nice just like his mates. In late March on a hot day I found him standing in a small creek with his head down. He had scours and signs of pneumonia. I roped him and gave a big long lasting antibiotic pill and he seemed to get better.
Ever since, although not obviously sick, he got dumpier looking and pot bellied. Can't stand the heat. Ears got shorter like ears that had been frost bitten. Got pinkeye in both eyes and hurt his vision. Today I got the calves up to sell. He is 150 pounds lighter than his mates and much sorrier looking although fat.
Should I sell at a loss or is there something I could medicate him with to turn him around? Thanks

Since it's just one I would go ahead and ship him with the others so you don't have to deal with him. I think it would be more hassle and not worth your time even if you could turn him around I doubt the extra effort and $$$ would pay for themselves.

yep like sid said ship him.... you will wadd all kinda money up in him and just make a bigger dumpier calf that still wont bring much. his lungs are no doubt damaged is why he cant take the heat

I'd ship him calves that develop pnemonia early often don't do nearly as well even though its all cleared up

okay, i'm sorry, I know that i have my own cattle issues to deal but i disagree and this could get me into a heap of trouble.
I would not ship. I would not treat. I would grow him out to the best and then butcher.
Reason...why would i pawn a poor doer suspect of IBR (I think he is) to a feed lot only to infect others or get a severe case of shipping fever (may be trigger BVD), and take down other animals in a feedlot.
Feedlot guys aren't dumb. If they are real good at what they do they will know where it came from and not likely buy again especially at a good price.
It's your reputation on the line each time you sell a calf or cow or anything else. Why jepordize that for a poor animal just to get back cost?
Oh yeah, if a feedlot guy buys animals not vaccinated and your guy goes in to that feed lot it spellls a whole heap of trouble. Wouldn't wish that on anyone.
At what point do we take responsiblity for what we raise and sell?
Sorry

rockridgecattle":3cb3dw85 said:
okay, i'm sorry, I know that i have my own cattle issues to deal but i disagree and this could get me into a heap of trouble.
I would not ship. I would not treat. I would grow him out to the best and then butcher.
Reason...why would i pawn a poor doer suspect of IBR (I think he is) to a feed lot only to infect others or get a severe case of shipping fever (may be trigger BVD), and take down other animals in a feedlot.
Feedlot guys aren't dumb. If they are real good at what they do they will know where it came from and not likely buy again especially at a good price.
It's your reputation on the line each time you sell a calf or cow or anything else. Why jepordize that for a poor animal just to get back cost?
Oh yeah, if a feedlot guy buys animals not vaccinated and your guy goes in to that feed lot it spellls a whole heap of trouble. Wouldn't wish that on anyone.
  • At what point do we take responsiblity for what we raise and sell?
Sorry
the big wheel's are working on that right now. I doubt it being IBR it is contagious and he is the only one with it. and he responded to a treatment from a single pill :shock: . musta been a heck of a pill. probably pneumonia

sidney411":3l0kxwhp said:
How does a buyer know who's calf it is, unless you brand them?
the regular order buyer's can find out what farm they came from the office so can the average joe. but just what name they where in or put in when they arrive. some trader calve's can go through several people -AND -barns before they meet their final destination . most of the time a average joe will by a calf like this cause its cheap and they can turn him around or try some have the gift too. sugar creek has more money in him right now{even at birth} than he will probably bring at the barn. the premise i.d. will take em right too the door step

rockridgecattle":1fnq2sx1 said:
At what point do we take responsiblity for what we raise and sell?
Sorry

If he is not worth taking to the locker plant, then I treat him with a .22 long rifle and a meat grinder.

Feed lots do keep track as do the order buyers they have to in order to produce a paper trail incase of diease out breaks. In Canada it's the manditory ID. Right now you don't have access to the data but a time will come. Cattle producers want it so they know how the animals finsihed out. Feedlots are going to want to minimize their vet expenses by not buying risky calves from same owners year after year.
I'm sure where their is a will there is a way.
We had a smaller feed lot buyer buy his own animals. He knew where they came from, when he got a bad one or bunch you can be sure he never bought from them again, and buyers and feed lot owners talk to each other, word gets around.

But still the question has to be raised. Why put our rep on the line for one poor doer who shows signs of PI illness when we work so hard on producing a good calf crop to make money.
I don't mean the pot bellies due to lack of nutrition, or stunted for what ever reason other than illness.

I had a bull calf born in January that looked really nice just like his mates. In late March on a hot day I found him standing in a small creek with his head down. He had scours and signs of pneumonia. I roped him and gave a big long lasting antibiotic pill and he seemed to get better.
Ever since, although not obviously sick, he got dumpier looking and pot bellied. Can't stand the heat. Ears got shorter like ears that had been frost bitten. Got pinkeye in both eyes and hurt his vision. Today I got the calves up to sell. He is 150 pounds lighter than his mates and much sorrier looking although fat.
Should I sell at a loss or is there something I could medicate him with to turn him around? Thanks

I mean like this original post, illnesses that seem to heal 'sort of'. He got sick seemed to get better but still not right. Pink eye in both eyes, poor vision, pneumonia that hasn't quiet healed. Put it all together in the "grand picture" and he's a PI "persistently infected" whether it be IBR, BVD, pneumonia, pink eye, or what have you, He is PI with something. If he looks peaked in the heat how can he handle the shipping, weaning, sale barn, shipping to where ever then to the feedlot?

We need to ask our selves some simple questions when we ship..."would we buy that animal or group of animals?"
"If we were a buyer or feed lot op we risk our feed lot business on a that sickly animal?"

These boards are full of people writing in how they bought a bum cow or a bum pair and we say "sorry about the bad deal" BLA BLA BLA....why would we do it to others?

My apologies for my soap box. I will get down now! :oops:

sidney411":29s1ko6v said:

In Canada they scan the radio frequency id tag and your info comes up.The buyers know everything; they are not stupid.You will get crap prices or no bids for your animals from the feedlot guys.I also don't think it is worth it to ship a poor do'er that could have anything at this point.I just don't think it is worth damaging your reputation.

Sugar Creek":3arr8iag said:

Actually reading this post again ; this calf would be refused here and sent back with the owner.There are too many good animals to choose from and Canadian cattle producers are already walking around with a knife in their back.

Latest posts