Bad Day - Vent

Help Support CattleToday:

jgibson

Reaction score
Yesterday we came home to a mess. One registered heifer went into labor while we were gone. She had the baby, but it was dead. We also discovered one or our week one calves must have gotten stepped on. It appears to have a broken leg. Another one of our cows was having trouble walking on one of her back legs. What in the heck happen while we were gone? :frowns:

jgibson":3od8zm4y said:
Yesterday we came home to a mess. One registered heifer went into labor while we were gone. She had the baby, but it was dead. We also discovered one or our week one calves must have gotten stepped on. It appears to have a broken leg. Another one of our cows was having trouble walking on one of her back legs. What in the heck happen while we were gone? :frowns:
the cattle business.....dont put the calf down those broken bones will heal up nice, and pretty quick. ill say good luck, but if you stay in, it'll happen again.

The cow with the bad leg, did you look at her hoof? Is it cracked? Is she preg? Calf could be resting on a nerve. Had all of the above last calving season. Good luck, hope it gets better.

My old neighbor was perhaps the wisest cattle man I have ever known. He used to tell me as a young producer that if you have animals you will have trouble. In the past 20 years I have come to see how right he was. I'm sorry about your stretch of trouble, but keep the larger picture in mind, it will ultimately pass. Think of the good days and what a great life style we have.

But look at all those days that you did not have any trouble. At the end of those days, were you thankful of how good that day was?

Seems that things always happen at the worst or most inconvenient times. That's just part of life.

A bad day is when someone is shoveling dirt on top of you....

The only cattleman that has never had those problems dosen't have cattle or hasn't been in the business long enough! This spring we had 2 major floods hit our farm. During the first one we lost 3 calves. About a month later we found one of them alive about 4 miles down stream on a hay lease.

went in yesterday from work, horse came up limping and had a cow limping... horse had about a four inch gash on right front ankle.. dont know how he done it, but he is as accident prone as a two year old spent the afternoon working on him now this evening the cow ........ you can sell it all, and come home and flop down in the recliner grab the remote. i guess, but look at all the fun you would miss. ;-)

After some of the stuff I saw working cattle for friends down on the coast, i aint ever gonna b----- again about my bad cow days. Their is nothing worse than seeing a newborn calf beside a dead momma and the gators in the ditches waiting for you to leave...Friends I am 52 years old, but I bawled like a baby seeing some of those sites....Mother Nature can be a true blue SOB when she wants to be... Most all you folks, saw all the whinning bratty people in Houston complaining about not having electricity. Just wish you could have seen some of those folks along the coastline, who have lost everything that came back and spit in Mother Natures eyes, and said LETS GETTER DONE

Latest posts