Bad Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

options

Reaction score
After reading lots and lots of posts today. One thing seems to always surface in regards to beef. Most posters think store beef is bad and home raised is so so so much better. I'm a wondering if everyone here raises beef so much better than the beef sold in stores, where does the bad beef sold in stores come from?

Where is walmart's feedyard located at?
Where is safeway's feedyard at?
Where is food lion's feedyard located?
Where is publix's feedyard at?

After all bad beef doesn't come from anyone here who raises beef. I have never heard anyone on this board say yup I raise bad beef. Where does it come from?

options":1ep3u6g4 said:
After reading lots and lots of posts today. One thing seems to always surface in regards to beef. Most posters think store beef is bad and home raised is so so so much better. I'm a wondering if everyone here raises beef so much better than the beef sold in stores, where does the bad beef sold in stores come from?

After all bad beef doesn't come from anyone here who raises beef. I have never heard anyone on this board say yup I raise bad beef. Where does it come from?

South America.

HerefordSire":1tx71ysi said:
options":1tx71ysi said:

South America.
Thats funny the % of imported beef in our stores is minimal, most bad beef sold in our stores is from domestic supply so who raises it?

Angus Cowman":1fdug355 said:
I am not sure but I have the papers that back mine up
and also put the money in my pocket $8198.73 worth of carcass premiums
on 52895 lbs of hot carcass I had 30% prime
and 58.87% choice
and 9.63% select
and 1.5% unspecified whatever that means
60 head?

options":35a62l9u said:
HerefordSire":35a62l9u said:
options":35a62l9u said:

South America.
Thats funny the % of imported beef in our stores is minimal, most bad beef sold in our stores is from domestic supply so who raises it?

Who buys the bad beef from the rancher? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I dont like the "enhancement" fluid that many stores inject into there meat to keep it looking good and weighing more.

It's not bad beef just beef from a 14 year old jersey cow!

Maybe it has to do with "wet aging" and injections of "flavor enhancers" that makes it bad beef

options":17yoj64o said:
Angus Cowman":17yoj64o said:
and 58.87% choice
and 9.63% select
60 head?
76 head of steers with a hot yield of 61.14%

Angus Cowman":cnm6oio0 said:
options":cnm6oio0 said:
Angus Cowman":cnm6oio0 said:
and 58.87% choice
and 9.63% select
60 head?
A couple more questions if you don't mind, what were the plant averages and is it a personal preference to slaughter at 1138? Or is it profit based decision?

wcc":7ny78g3n said:
It's not bad beef just beef from a 14 year old jersey cow!
Yeah,...I am no expert, but I always wondered if my old 14 year old cull cows ended up on a walmart shelf somewhere injected with whatever kind of "enhancer" they are using these days. Home raised beef is soooooo good, Im thankful that I am in a position to enjoy it. Not many people have that luxury.

options":32a9gz1p said:
Angus Cowman":32a9gz1p said:
A couple more questions if you don't mind, what were the plant averages and is it a personal preference to slaughter at 1138? Or is it profit based decision?
Not sure on plant averages They were slaughtered at Greater Omaha
Prices were good so I decided to roll them even tho I knew I would take a discount on carcass the increased market price was looking pretty favorable to offset any discounts and the premiums beat the heck out of the disc so got lucky both ways
They were the highest % of prime cattle for Meyer Natural Angus for the month they were slaughtered

I think y'all are missing Options actual question.

You have to remember that all beef doesn't come from a nice, under 14 month old calf that has been fed for 60 days (at least) in a feedlot. There are the ones that are not good doers that are processed early, and of course every other range of cattle.. dairy cows, bulls, all different ages of breeding cattle, etc. etc. That would be where some of the "bad beef" I think you're talking about comes from.

options":1cr3t0bb said:

Well, to answer your question option....

I've herd that an angry animal can effect the flavor of the meat.

I know it's illegal to process a downed cow... but how about those that march off to slaughter with a raging hoof infection? Raging pink eye infection? Would that effect the flavor of the meat?

How about pumping the animal full of antibiotic to clear up that infection... would that effect the flavor of the meat?

How about the fast food chain that keeps braging about their 100% angus beef in their burgers.... is it 100% 25 year old angus bulls? Would they taste the same as a 13 month old calf?

How about a morbidly obese cow? Would the marbeling and fat content of that animal make a "bad" steak?

Would what the animal eats effect the flavor of the meat? (I know that wild onions sure effects the flavor of milk!)

I can think of any number of things that would make a steak "bad". That doesn't mean that we as producers have never ever produced a "bad" steak. But wouldn't logic dictate that we would keep the very best animal to process for our own freezer?

So to answer your questions option....there is going to be a small precentage of beef being culled off the farm that will go to be prcessed. Still fit for human consumption, but not "prime". That's the bad beef. Yup, we all raise cattle that will have to be culled off eventually, (unless they drop dead from old age first) so if you are trying to get us to say "we raise bad beef" then there you go....

Seems like options is trying to pick a fight.

ToddFarmsInc

I'm not picking a fight but it would seem obvious to me when beef producers, which we all probably are here continue to bad mouth the very product we raise whether it be in the store, the restaurant, fast food chain whatever it only adds to the poor view the public gets about beef from peta. But heck you all wanna bash the stuff go ahead it only hurts yourselves. Then I can hear you all whine you can't make any money at these prices. What do you expect it is bad beef your selling you say it yourselves.

Just because there is something better- doesn't make the rest BAD.
There are lots of products sold on quality and there will always be a much larger market for economical.
You get what you pay for-- want the best beef,pay the higher price.

And I think what you are REALLY paying for is DRy Ageing-- and that has no negative undertones for the rest of the beef industry.

HerefordSire":15mf9eb1 said:
options":15mf9eb1 said:

South America.

Right same place as mcdonalds.

Howdyjabo":1mt2s28n said:
Just because there is something better- doesn't make the rest BAD.
There are lots of products sold on quality and there will always be a much larger market for economical.
You get what you pay for-- want the best beef,pay the higher price.

And I think what you are REALLY paying for is DRy Ageing-- and that has no negative undertones for the rest of the beef industry.

Thats my opinion. I dont mind the beef at walmart (or Kroger where I go). Of course its not the best, and a corn fed calf of the farm has a taste difference but the old cow Kroger sells is cheap and good enough.

Latest posts