Bad advice?

Help Support CattleToday:

We had calves that were border line in the peak of prices, here. We started getting timely rains, I was busy, prices went all over the place, etc so they didnt get sold. We have decided to hold them until the spring. I set up a place with stockpiled grass, we have that oats and rye planted and I cut some hay I wasn't going to mess with, in preparation. Luckys thread on keeping calves and the situation all seemed to point to giving it a try. They are still on green grass right now. We haven't gotten a freeze yet. 🤞

I think this thing will come back strong if all the markets, as a whole, don't fall apart in the spring. We have gambled on that. This is not my MO so we will see if I get my butt handed to me. 😄

Last edited:
We had calves that were border line in the peak of prices, here. We started getting timely rains, I was busy, prices went all over the place, etc so they didnt get sold. We have decided to hold them until the spring. I set up a place with stockpiled grass, we have that oats and rye planted and I cut some hay I wasn't going to mess with, in preparation. Luckys thread on keeping calves and the situation all seemed to point to giving it a try. They are still on green grass right now. We haven't gotten a freeze yet. 🤞

I think this thing will come back strong if all the markets, as a whole, don't fall apart in the spring. We have gambled on that. This is not my MO so we will see if I get my butt handed to me. 😄
Same here. Winter grasses are doing quite well...

Many times I have found the best course is to go to the best connected and most informed source for advise on which way cattle prices are going; then do just the opposite in your marketing.
Just kidding, but not entirely. Eventually the lower cow numbers will result in sustained higher prices, but they can make a lot of moves in the meantime,

I don't try to guess. When they are ready, they go. I took my last spring calves in yesterday. Nine to 10 months old and weaned 40 days. They don't gain much after the first frost without supplementing and that always seems like a money loser to me.

I don't try to guess. When they are ready, they go. I took my last spring calves in yesterday. Nine to 10 months old and weaned 40 days. They don't gain much after the first frost without supplementing and that always seems like a money loser to me.
There is a lot to be said for that. People who play the markets always have stories about the wins but I've never seen one pull a long term chart out with an avg of wins and losses.

If it's any thing like the stock market, only a tiny percent are beating the long game, dollar cost avg group.

Feeder futures up as much as $5 for some months today. That leaves August 2024 futures ar 2.35. At one point as i already stated it was 2.82. Thats .47 down. A lot of $ difference on a load. $23,500 to be exact.

Feeder futures up as much as $5 for some months today. That leaves August 2024 futures ar 2.35. At one point as i already stated it was 2.82. Thats .47 down. A lot of $ difference on a load. $23,500 to be exact.
My guess is it will be back the profits have been taken. Bloodbath for those needing to sell on the current cash market.

What site are you getting the Future prices from Kenny?

We got around 20 steers and heifers to sell depending on how many heifers we hold onto. Weaned and worked. Was hoping to have them gone by now, but don't know what to do with them.
Lot of cattle hitting the market now.
Paris had 2700 head Thursday,
Took a cow and a big open heifer to Lee City and they had over a hundred feeders come in last night.
We're thinking about going a head and taking the beating and moving ours this upcoming week, in Lexington.

They had 3,000 calves at La Grande so I didn't stick around very long. But I did see a big lot of 650 pound steers sell for $2.45. A friend who stayed said lighter calves sold real well but the 700-800 pound ones were off.

Latest posts