Bacon

Help Support CattleToday:

Alright. You talked me into it. Got 3 slabs of bellies out, one butt, an one brisket. Figure i might as well do a fair bit if I'm doing it. Gotta wait on doing hams until I have some fridge space available in the barn fridge

:cowboy: I thought that was a given.
I used the molasses on 2 slabs of belly, and honey on one belly. The butt got honey and molasses 50/50

I don't think its either really as its more of a paste with the mollasses but I guess its more of a dry cure moreso than brine.

:tiphat: That's good didn't work out so good last time I tryed a wet bryne. It was my 1st and last time attempting smokin my own bellies . They were eatable but I wasen't impressed . not gonna give up just gotta try something differant. this looks like it'll work. Thanks again :tiphat:

Ya I washed them off but I didn't do it good enough .Itworked good grinding with venny for sausage . MY smoker dosen't do the cold smoke that great either . LIVE & LEARN

8 days inthe fridge that was a recipe from a smoker cook book . I'm gonna try your dry bryne just gotto find that tender quick, thanks Jo

8 days in a wet brine at 70 is way to long. That will make salt pork. If you do the the same recipe and pull at 3 days and rinse and dry you'll be pleased. 3 days wil give you a nice gentle bacon. 5 days is tops and about all I can stand and be able to eat it as bacon. (on a belly)

You can also soak the bacon at one hour per lb changing the water every hour. Then. Dry overnight.

Smoking the bacon now at 150-175. The butt bacon has another week to cure.
Have you ever done bacon off a wild x domestic pig?
I know they are leaner but the ones my buddy is trapping have some decent fat to em

My experience with wild hogs has been just the opposite. They are all fat and little meat but I've never messed any with crosses and I try and stay away from the wild ones unless we are making pulled pork.

Latest posts